Author Topic: Feeding the addiction!  (Read 3770 times)

Offline john k

Re: Feeding the addiction!
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2023, 09:47:50 PM »
This week while cleaning, to make room for my truck repair, discovered a boxed set of tap & dies.  Green box, Hansen brand, SAE, 1/16th to 1/2.  Was in an auction box we unloaded last summer when we were busy.  Love it when something nice appears in the shop one has  no knowledge of.  Guess this doesn't count as going on a bender.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2023, 08:36:32 AM »
Nevertheless,  great news!
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline The Magic Ratchet

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2023, 08:38:49 AM »
Awesome!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2024, 08:40:21 PM »
Well, since I started this thread, I am too embarrassed to admit the number of micrometers that I have bought that I knew when I bought them that I had absolutely no need for. A number of purchases have been for things that I could actually see putting to use, and several things I likely had little reason to ever expect to use.  As I have admitted before, I have never been a professional machinist, but do get along fairly well for a guy that just dinks around in a home shop environment. 

Today, I made another purchase that I should probably have passed on due to the small likelihood I will ever put it to use. I bought a Brown and Sharpe  Universal Protractor head dirt cheap because it was missing both a case, and it's blades.

What few examples of correct blades I have found so far, cost far more than I could justify spending on the Protractor. I already knew when I bought the head finding replacement blades at a price I could justify would be unlikely and possibly a  long wait if I waited to find them on Ebay.

I reasoned then, and now that I could find some stainless steel flat stock of appropriate dimensions and mill a groove in each and cut each end at 45 degrees like the originals to make the Protractor a functional tool.

On the off chance that any member here for some freak reason has B & S Protractor blade, or blades 6 & 12" they have no need for and would like to sell, please do contact me.

On the off chance any member feels inclined to make a set of replacement blades, for pay of course,  please contact me to discuss that possibility as well. This is a job I do feel skilled enough to make myself given the limited capacity of my small mill. Sadly, as most here know, for the last few years my shop has been too cluttered to do much work in and it continues to be that way.

Certainly,  this project can wait for me to do, but I thought there was no harm in sharing it with the group to see if I could make progress with it here.

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2024, 03:11:56 PM »
Well, since I started this thread, I am too embarrassed to admit the number of micrometers that I have bought that I knew when I bought them that I had absolutely no need for. A number of purchases have been for things that I could actually see putting to use, and several things I likely had little reason to ever expect to use.  As I have admitted before, I have never been a professional machinist, but do get along fairly well for a guy that just dinks around in a home shop environment. 

Today, I made another purchase that I should probably have passed on due to the small likelihood I will ever put it to use. I bought a Brown and Sharpe  Universal Protractor head dirt cheap because it was missing both a case, and it's blades.

What few examples of correct blades I have found so far, cost far more than I could justify spending on the Protractor. I already knew when I bought the head finding replacement blades at a price I could justify would be unlikely and possibly a  long wait if I waited to find them on Ebay.

I reasoned then, and now that I could find some stainless steel flat stock of appropriate dimensions and mill a groove in each and cut each end at 45 degrees like the originals to make the Protractor a functional tool.

On the off chance that any member here for some freak reason has B & S Protractor blade, or blades 6 & 12" they have no need for and would like to sell, please do contact me.

On the off chance any member feels inclined to make a set of replacement blades, for pay of course,  please contact me to discuss that possibility as well. This is a job I do feel skilled enough to make myself given the limited capacity of my small mill. Sadly, as most here know, for the last few years my shop has been too cluttered to do much work in and it continues to be that way.

Certainly,  this project can wait for me to do, but I thought there was no harm in sharing it with the group to see if I could make progress with it here.

I have worked and or been in charge of manufacturing plants my entire career and picked up a ton of knowledge. I was lucky to have a number of great mentors that inspired me along the way. I have been reading your posts going on twenty years. And have learned to respect your knowledge and abilities as well. And have used some of your thought processes in my endeavors. ie.. The safety advice when I was setting up my paint booth 15 years ago.

Lets say it's payback time. Having all the equipment in my workshop. I gladly offer to machine the blades for your Brown & Sharp Protractor. All that I ask is that you pay for the material. I would suggest 4140 flat ground stock. If you rather have it made from Stainless Steel, go with a 400 rather than a 300 series.  Being magnetic my surface grinder chucks will easily hold the blade. Anyhow I rather not get out my vacuum chuck set up. Plus the 400 series is far tougher and still stain resistant. You could flash chrome the 4140 steel finished blade if you're looking for best corrosion resistance.
There should be a standard size stock best suited to be used as blanks for your B&S Protractor. My Stiefelmayer is .068” by .630...  We'll have to determine the size needed for the B&S.

Offline Elroy

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2024, 04:16:53 PM »
Herb is fully polished professional with a wealth of industrial experience. Such  as yourself. Elroy can't answer the questions directly as our examples are not B&S however if you wish dimensions off of these, we can help.

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2024, 06:29:36 PM »
I have that same Starrett combination square set, with both 12” and 24” scales. Then I have an array of Brown & Sharpe heads and blades.

However Herb talking about a different animal. It called a Precision Brown & Sharpe Bevel Protractor. The good news the blades have to increments stamped. They have a Vernier scales to precisely set angles.  Looks very siminlar to my Stiefelmayer Precision Bevel Protractor. That the blades are .068” by .630”.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2024, 08:22:16 PM »
OCG and Elroy. Both of you are too kind in your comments. I  can assure both of you for sure,  and several others on this site that quickly come to mind that every one of you gentlemen have likely forgotten more about incredible skill, knowledge and shop/mechanical talent than I could ever hope to equal! I have learned so much from guys like yourselves, and GF in particular and am very grateful for what I have learned from those smarter than me!

Elroy,  thank you for answering the call for help, but OCG accurately describes my situation better than I did.

OCG, I absolutely wish to take you up on your offer! As to the choice of material used for the manufacture of the blades I leave the choice of material up to you. My protractor is nice, but certainly not the most pristine example to be found and as such probably does not rate the most choice or premium material for the blades if the difference in the cost of materials used in the blades is significant. I cannot imagine that any one of the materials mentioned would not result in magnificent blades.

PM me the information I will need to send you my protractor head. There is no timeline on the project, only the one imposed by you.

Again, thanks so very much to both you and Elroy for responding to my request. I suspect that waiting to find blades on ebay would have been a long wait indeed!

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2024, 08:46:02 AM »
 :cool2:  Lets get the ball rolling..

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2024, 09:00:02 AM »
Looking forward to it sir!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2024, 09:17:10 AM »
Very cool gents! True to form, OCG will most likely machine/grind replacement blades to higher tolerances than the OEM.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2024, 02:28:34 PM »
Very cool gents! True to form, OCG will most likely machine/grind replacement blades to higher tolerances than the OEM.

Likely so, Certainly whatever he does will far exceed anything I could have produced in my little shop with my less than impressive machines, tooling, and abilities! Count me far beyond humbled and grateful!

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2024, 03:16:28 PM »
I just found the Holy Grail!  :93:

Early this morning I texted a tool and die maker that I trained some 40 years ago. One of his coworkers has a Brown & Sharpe 496. I don't know the difference from your 495, may just be the blade length. I bet they use the same blade though..  We're going to make this work!

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2024, 03:31:20 PM »
Here's the Brown 7 Sharpe 495

Here's the Brown & Sharpe 496.. It has an extra movable beam. Both have the same head and blades

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2024, 04:16:01 PM »
Yes, it is the extra blade and the hole that is on the head part to accomodate the use of that extra blade. I understand if one is fortunate enough to have that extra blade it enhances the versatility of the tool greatly. I think aside from that hole the heads are identical. There is no reason they would not be. That end has nothing to do with where the blade rides.