Author Topic: snowblowers......!!!!!?????  (Read 6493 times)

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
snowblowers......!!!!!?????
« on: January 31, 2019, 09:44:21 AM »
some people have been discussing snowblowers as of late. because of the big freeze we have had lately i have had all of my snow moving equipment inside and crammed in a corner so they will be ready if needed. much easier to get things started at 50 degrees vs -30.

anyway, the all happened to be back to back so i snapped this picture.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
Re: snowblowers......!!!!!?????
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 09:49:55 AM »
for those that care. here is a few pics of the snoblower of "DOOM". most of you have not seen it for a while.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 10:00:08 AM »
Very Impressive! -- now I feel so inadequate with my little single stage Toro  :)

In all seriousness, I am presently looking for a two-stage Ariens blower that will last a decade or so.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 10:30:15 AM by goodfellow »

lostmind

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 10:25:57 AM »
Very Impressive! -- now I feel so inadequate with by little single stage Toro  :)

In all seriousness, I am presently looking for a two-stage Ariens blower that will last a decade or so.

I bought my Ariens 4hp in 1984 , used it a few days ago. Electric start is nice .

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 11:00:45 AM »
i have nothing bad to say about an ariens snowblower. i think in the past they may have been one of the better brands. today i am not so sure.

as you can see i am not color or brand specific. i would be more concerned with condition of the blower and mostly the engine they are all very similar and not that difficult to work on. if they are not beat up, a new cutting bar, skids, and belts can bring a lot of life back into an old blower. even a new drive wheel on the transmission isn't a big deal. all of that will still be covered for around 100 bucks.

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 11:13:12 AM »

Have you changed your mind about moving South?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 11:21:09 AM »

Have you changed your mind about moving South?

No Matt, not at all -- We're moving south in the near future when our daughter gets out of grad school. Places in NC and Southern VA that we're interested in still have snow and although I'm in good physical condition, I want a self propelled blower that takes the load off the old back. Ariens seems to be the quality choice, hence I'll spend some extra money up front for a blower that will last me a while.

Offline muddy

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 11:27:30 AM »
I have a Cub Cadet 522E I bought at an auction for $220. Needed a new car for $12 and a few other small things. Was worth every penny compared to shoveling.

I need to replace the scraper plate and skid shoes but it works good for now.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 11:57:43 AM »
I have a Cub Cadet 522E I bought at an auction for $220. Needed a new car for $12 and a few other small things. Was worth every penny compared to shoveling.

I need to replace the scraper plate and skid shoes but it works good for now.

smart buy. that is about how much i have in mine.

i picked mine up for 100 bucks years ago. it looked like hell. new belts, blade, skids  a carb cleaning and  a couple rattle cans of paint andi have a good solid machine. my dad saw it at a rummage sale and asked if i wanted , i bought it sight unseen as i had been looking for one with tracks and they are relatively scarce. i wanted the ability to put all of the wight on the tracks and have the blower off the ground rather than a wheeled model that always has weight on the front unless pushing down on the handles. one can also steer it unlike  most wheeled models.

if only had a walk behind blower, i do think the wheeled models are better. tracks are not great on ice. wheels with chains will bite down through the snow to get traction because of the increased psi due to the smaller foot print.

Offline ken w.

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 12:54:21 PM »
I have a driveway full of snowblowers. You can't see any of them due to the snow. The Ariens are my favorite.  It's in the garage. I'll get to repairing the rest come spring or a good thaw.

Offline highland512

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2019, 01:10:41 PM »
Do the 3 pt blowers pick up much in terms of rocks and other debris?

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2019, 01:32:42 PM »
Like any other, depends how the skids are set. One can pick them up and leave as much snow on the ground as desired. I like to leave a solid base of ice or snow on the ground the first time i move snow. Let the rocks and dirt stay in place to avoid throwing it where you dont want it. Pretty common to damge windows, siding and roofs if bot not careful.

Offline muddy

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2019, 02:17:47 PM »
I haven't found a need for the chains yet. And you are not kidding about the throwing stones bit. They tar and chipped our roads this summer, the blower just scraped all that up and threw it everywhere!

Offline highland512

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2019, 02:31:34 PM »
Like any other, depends how the skids are set. One can pick them up and leave as much snow on the ground as desired. I like to leave a solid base of ice or snow on the ground the first time i move snow. Let the rocks and dirt stay in place to avoid throwing it where you dont want it. Pretty common to damge windows, siding and roofs if bot not careful.

Are you talking like a .5" or more like an 1"?

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2019, 03:10:26 PM »
on gravel with a walk behind i would say 1/2 inch, 1/8 or 1/4 on concrete. they can grab if completely down.

the big blower that goes on the road and around the yard always stays at an inch or more. just it it's width and weight will make it catch on high spots and the crown on the road.

the one on the mahindra gets set anywhere in between depending on where i am at.