Author Topic: Speeders: what the heck.  (Read 811 times)

Offline snapmom

Speeders: what the heck.
« on: January 16, 2024, 12:46:53 PM »
I like to collect speeders,  but you just need a place to put them.  I am running out of room.  All these are Snap on or made by Snap on. 
There are a lot of speeders I do not have mostly Industrial,  lots of 5/8 dr industrials, and none have ever shown up.
If there are any you would like to see a closer pic,  just holler.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Speeders: what the heck.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2024, 04:11:50 PM »
You win!!!! -- WoW -- what a collection. Absolutely fan-damn-tastic.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2024, 06:25:09 PM »
Thats a pretty sweet collection for sure. :bravo_2:

Online jabberwoki

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2024, 07:19:33 PM »
But are they all different?
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline snapmom

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2024, 09:25:28 PM »
Yes

Offline john k

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2024, 09:36:07 PM »
Wow, and I have a dozen or 15.  That is a lot of wall space too

Online Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2024, 12:05:12 AM »
I've got around fifteen or so, but nothing like that.
boop/bop/beep

Offline nelstomlinson

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2024, 12:17:43 AM »
I have three, and I use them.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2024, 10:08:18 PM »
Now I just want to give up!  :c002:

I have a few speeders, just to complete collections. I do use one for my homemade small scissor-jack lift, but normally I don't use them.

Offline muddy

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2024, 10:14:38 PM »
I guess I'm of too new a generation. I have no spinners. In today's world no need for them. However back in their day  I can see their worth

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2024, 08:01:45 PM »
Very nice collection.

I love speeders , in fact I love speeders so much that I made a compact mini speeder for my 1/4dr kit.
1/4 speeders aren't all that common and you certainly won't find one that's only 8" long.

I use it for quickly taking the flywheel cover off lawn mowers and my minibike.
I could use a socket adapter in my 1/4 impact but I'd rather just use my mini speeder.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline john k

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2024, 09:03:52 PM »
Even today I have found a speeder-speedwrench is the best tool for replacing an oil pan or transmission pan. One can start the bolts with small chance of cross-threading.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2024, 02:10:30 AM »
Wow, that wall is some kind of impressive.  I have a speeder in each drive size except 3/4". I have only used the 1/2" and only when I have had an engine on a stand. They are convenient for initially running down head bolts. I might also find some use with intake manifold bolts as well, though those bolts are not the first that comes to my mind when I think of a speeder. Half inch drive too me would feel like overkill even snugging up pan bolts, and for some reason never thought of grabbing and using a smaller drive size for that even though I easily could have..

I  just use one so very rarely that use beyond the initial snugging down of head bolts or intake manifold bolts never enters my brain. I suppose I am just a creature of habit I guess.

The thing with speeders is you need so much elbow room to put them to much use due to their length.

I do have one short and very odd Snap-on speeder that I have never once used though it lives in my box. That speeder is a 1/4" and has a handle like no other 1/4" drive Snappy speeder I have ever seen. Perhaps it is very common and I am just unaware of that fact, but it's design seems odd to me. First,  the overall length of the speeder is quite short. Second, instead of a traditional and familiar spinner handle on the end it has a piece of round steel affixed to the end where the normal handle would generally reside. The total diameter of that piece would not exceed 1/2" diameter and it has a 1/4" drive female hole in its end. That part does spin like that of a normal speeder and has no letters or other markings of any sort on it. The diameter of the majority of the tool appears to be what one would expect of a 1/4" speeder. The Snappy logo is somewhere on the tool, but not the handle. The total length of that odd piece of steel where the handle usually resides is something around 1 & 1/2" I suppose. The speeder was made as described and not a user alteration to the original design.

I don't recall ever trying to fit a 1/4" socket to the tool. Now I wonder if it might be one of the 19/32" era tools made during that era. Or, perhaps it was some special application tool special made for a specific purpose. I will never know. That speeder is odd and quite short, shorter than any other 1/4" drive speeder I have ever encountered with an approximate overall length of about 10" I imagine.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2024, 02:21:49 AM »
In looking closely at S moms wall, the closest in design to the one I just described is directly below those three oddball bent handle ratchets. I  suspect the  one I am viewing is a 3/8" drive, and does appear to have an additional handle riding in the center of the tool where one would normally spin the tool. My assumed 1/4" has no such extra handle.

Yup, my little speeder is indeed a mystery to me.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2024, 02:29:36 AM »
I guess I'm of too new a generation. I have no spinners. In today's world no need for them. However back in their day  I can see their worth

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

You ought to get a 1/2" drive and give it a try sometime on head bolts in particular. If you once try that you might be quite surprised and find great application for that one specific purpose. Used only for initial snugging, not final tight.

When doing tedious or work where extra care should be given, in particular regarding assembling an engine, Only sparingly would I ever use a powered tool, air or electric. I  have never considered myself an expert mechanic by any means, and especially not enough of one to concern myself with the speed of my work like a paid mechanic might have to. I would best describe my approach to engine assembly would be slow, well thought out, and very deliberate which for me does not include the speed powered tools allows.

Powered tools for me have numerous useful applications, but engine assembly is not one of them for work on the long block in particular.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 02:42:36 AM by Uncle Buck »