Author Topic: My Blue Bird battery tools  (Read 12863 times)

Offline bonneyman

Re: My Blue Bird battery tools
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2018, 04:07:49 PM »
OK, battery tool question. When did the standard two-brush post cleaner come into regular use? Blue Bird has the spring shaper/cleaner, and a two brush cleaner. Wondering when one replaced the other.

The two brush cleaner isn't in the catalog I have (I want to say it's pretty early), but then, neither is the carrier in there, either. Perhaps we can narrow it down by figuring out when modern car battery styles were introduced with tops sealed in plastic not tar?

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2023, 11:50:24 AM »
A member over at GJ sent me a pair of BB tools for a Christmas gift. A tinners snips and a battery post nut plier. Cleaned up and ready to work.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2023, 03:57:36 PM »
I like those!
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2024, 06:47:36 PM »
I finally got around to shrinking some heat shrink tubing onto the battery pliers. Color was fairly close to the deep blue but no dry time!  :)

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2024, 07:29:16 AM »
I gotta try that.  I get lots of older pliers that never had wraps

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2024, 08:18:03 AM »
It's definitely worth a shot. It's cheap, got good grip, comes in all sorts of sizes and colors, and easy to slice off and redo if you don't like how it looks.

Offline geneg

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2024, 09:01:37 AM »
I had fairly good luck with the old plasti-dip.  Came in different colors, but did have to let them hang to dry for awhile. 
Did you fold in the ends of the heat shrink before melting?  No matter, they look great!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2024, 10:21:21 PM »
I had fairly good luck with the old plasti-dip.  Came in different colors, but did have to let them hang to dry for awhile. 
Did you fold in the ends of the heat shrink before melting?  No matter, they look great!

No, I leave a little amount hanging off the end and then heat it until it melts and starts to burn. Then rub it against a cold metal surface while it's semi-liquid and it usually the end seals up nice.