Author Topic: Nice old Taiwanese import swivel sockets --  (Read 8001 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Nice old Taiwanese import swivel sockets --
« on: August 13, 2018, 05:55:27 PM »
I rarely have a need for a 1/2" drive chrome set since most all my needs are met by my 1/2" drive heavy duty impact swivel sets. That said, there are a few instances on a Jaguar engine and transmission when a 1/2" chrome universal is the only tool thin enough to get the job done. I've used 3/8" drive chrome universals up to now, but the force necessary to loosen the fasteners is often quite high.

Finding a nice US made 1/2" drive 6 point chrome set for a reasonable price is next to impossible; even on e-bay. Best I found so far was older MAC or Herbrand sets on ebay that still sell for close to $100. So when this set popped up on eBay a few years ago I jumped on it.

It's looks to be vintage 1980's/90's Taiwanese manufacture. The chrome isn't as good as current Taiwaese offerings; in fact the chrome looks like present day Craftsman quality. However, the fit/finish is very good and I'm quite happy for getting this set for $8.00

For a half dozen times in a year that I require chrome 1/2" drive universal sockets, this set will do nicely.

Offline BuckHenry

Re: Nice old Taiwanese import swivel sockets --
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 07:20:07 PM »
Never heard of CTI. Were they just an importer?

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
Re: Nice old Taiwanese import swivel sockets --
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 07:53:45 PM »
My 1/2" SAE swivel chromes are a mix of brands found here and there put together on the cheap. My metric set of 1/2" chromes are a matched set of SK I found at HJE maybe ten years ago.

Those look like they would to the trick though.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!