Author Topic: Had to change hot/cold blend door actuator on Traverse -  (Read 6416 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Had to change hot/cold blend door actuator on Traverse -
« on: June 19, 2020, 10:29:20 AM »
My wife's Traverse was not providing great AC last week. I hooked up the gauges and the pressures were within spec; hence the problem was elsewhere. I suspected an actuator since with the AC running full on the vent air was not cold. The vents were switching position so that ruled out the blend door actuator, but after removing the lower kick-panel, I noticed that the hot/cold air intake door actuator was only functioning sporadically.

The fix for these things is straightforward. Remove the glove box, box fascia, under dash kick panel, and side transmission tunnel panel. All these panels are held in place by simple clips. With the transmission tunnel side panel out of the way you can get a good view up into the in dash HVAC unit.

The problem is removing the three T20 screws that hold the actuator in place. The bottom screw can be easily reached with a small bit driver such as this...

But the other two on the side and on top required a different approach. After several tries with tool combinations of varying success, I came up with this arrangement; a 1/4" drive handle with a 4" fixed extension coupled to a 4" flex extension and a T20 bit driver on the front -- all nicely taped so that they can't get lost in that underdash maze.

This allowed access through the a small glove box side opening and proved flexible enough to clear several obstruction to finally gain access to screws. Tough fiddly work, but they came out without a hitch.

Hope this tool combo helps someone else attempting this job. It's not hard, just time consuming and often frustrating working in such a cramped space.

BTW -- keeping the doors open for two hours plus will keep the accessory/courtesy lights on and drain the battery (not to mention overheating the fixtures). The fix is to pull the courtesy light fuse from the interior fuse panel; accessible on the far right hand corner of the dash -- right underneath the glove box. Pull down the flap and pull the 15A courtesy light fuse (2nd fuse in from the start of the middle row) with pair of small needle nose pliers.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 11:02:39 AM by goodfellow »

Offline slip knot

Re: Had to change hot/cold blend door actuator on Traverse -
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 11:17:23 AM »
 I’ve grown to hate under dash work. Between everything being jammed into a small opening and my hands not being as limber as they once were. I get frustrated pretty quick. Good job getting it done

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 11:26:14 AM »
My wife's Traverse was not providing great AC last week. I hooked up the gauges and the pressures were within spec; hence the problem was elsewhere. I suspected an actuator since with the AC running full on the vent air was not cold. The vents were switching position so that ruled out the blend door actuator, but after removing the lower kick-panel, I noticed that the hot/cold air intake door actuator was only functioning sporadically.

Did you try scanning the vehicle? That actuator probably set a code. Do need something that'll read all modules though not just an OBD-II code reader. IIRC you mentioned having an Autel but I don't remember which one.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 11:28:53 AM »
I have the same Husky/Reverse Gear double ratcheting bit driver. Best $7 I ever spent at a pawn shop!    :great:

I used it to R & R the ABS control module on the Astrovan. Under the truck near the drivers seat position, buried up on top of the hydraulic distributor unit in a tight space.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 11:30:32 AM by bonneyman »

Offline ron350

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 11:40:53 AM »
That looks like a stand on you head job. LOL

I see WOORY molded in the side of the actuator who are they? Just wondering if you found some one who makes actuators that last longer than ACDelco?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 11:56:58 AM »

Did you try scanning the vehicle? That actuator probably set a code. Do need something that'll read all modules though not just an OBD-II code reader. IIRC you mentioned having an Autel but I don't remember which one.

No I don't Matt. I just have a basic Autel 539B -- only basic OBDII and no manufacturer specific capability. Just basic DIY stuff.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 12:03:04 PM »
That looks like a stand on you head job. LOL

I see WOORY molded in the side of the actuator who are they? Just wondering if you found some one who makes actuators that last longer than ACDelco?

I've learned my lesson on replacement actuators Ron. I always go for the OEM replacements (in this case AC/Delco). The Chinese aftermarket actuators such as those from Dorman, are far junkier than the Chinese OEM AC/Delco stuff. The OEM stuff is often marginal, but it does last longer than the economy replacements.

The WOORY is what came in this car as manufactured -- so it's original. Guessing it's OEM AC/Delco supplied.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 12:05:17 PM by goodfellow »

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2020, 12:09:15 PM »
Just took the Traverse for a parts run (Daughter's '05 Highlander needs new accessory belts), and the AC ran very cold. The actuator did the trick --

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2020, 12:11:57 PM »
Nice work on that repair and I hate working under the dash. Being able to put together the right tool to get the job proves that every little item you own might be needed to complete a job.

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2020, 02:46:23 PM »
No I don't Matt. I just have a basic Autel 539B -- only basic OBDII and no manufacturer specific capability. Just basic DIY stuff.

With two newer gms in the fleet you might want to get something. For just gm the Autel AP200 is best bang for the buck at around $60. It's basically the same functionality as their one step below full bi-directional scan tools.

Nice work on that repair and I hate working under the dash. Being able to put together the right tool to get the job proves that every little item you own might be needed to complete a job.

Yep. Threw this one together to R&R the blower on my 4runner.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2020, 04:47:52 PM »
+3 on being a hater on the under dash work.  :c002:

One workaround I have used instead of breaking my back laying on the bottom of the door floor panel and looking up, is to take a plank or plywood section and extend it outward of the vehicle, resting it on the bottom jamb and support it with something like a cinder block at the other end.

Add a sleeping bag for some level of back comfort, and you can stare up at that dash........

nearly.......

all......

day.....

long.....

O:-)

Smart craftsmen out there might want to drywall screw a drink holder to the side of that plank (presuming your door panel does not have that option already)

Offline muddy

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2020, 09:23:34 PM »
Good fix Ray! Obviously your back is feeling better to have tackle that job!

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2020, 09:44:43 PM »
Good fix Ray! Obviously your back is feeling better to have tackle that job!

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Yup, the back is fine. I took a week off from strenuous work and exercise and it helped a lot to get things back to normal.

Offline torqueman2002

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2020, 09:45:46 PM »
Count me and my back as 'not-a-fan' of under dash work!

Last summer was my first encounter of a 'modern' underdash - 2004 Yukon Denali - repairs were the same. All the actuators though (ACDelco - thank you). Some were easy access, one was a 15 hour flat-rate killer - fresh air intake IIRC. It sits just under the middle and right of the dash. I was able to do it in about 3 hours, but needed to cut the air distribution ass'y with a saw and pop rivet it back and seal it with HVAC foil tape.

I used an Autel MS908 to diagnose and activate the activators.
"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2020, 04:29:03 AM »
There is an underdash creeper. Whiteside makes one and I believe like most creepers they are the OEM for the Snap-on version. MAC has one that's a little different the head end narrows down a little.

Should not be hard to make one for someone who likes that kind of project.

People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.