Author Topic: Mazda B2600 Power steering pump rebuild -  (Read 7129 times)

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Mazda B2600 Power steering pump rebuild -
« on: October 17, 2018, 06:29:55 PM »
I seem to be doing a lot of PS pumps lately. Had to replace one on the family truckster a few weeks ago, and now the old Mazda needs a pump as well. My problem is that the truck is so old and rare (these days) that they are no longer available. I searched Rock Auto and they will only do a rebuild if you send them the old pump -- they have no remanned parts on the shelf.  ---- "Ain't nobody got time for that!!"

The noise in the pump was definitely a bearing. So I took a chance and removed the pump to see if the local parts store would have a bearing in stock. It was a good bet. The local NAPA matched me up a bearing for $20. I probably could have saved a few bucks if I went on ebay and matched it, but then I'd have to wait.

Before starting, I put a plug over the valve assembly bore to ensure that parts didn't drop out (this is a complex valve system with many small parts and check balls) -- so I just plugged it up to ensure the parts stay put.

The pulley was stuck tight after all these years, and it needed a lot of heat and some Kroil to get loose.....

... while the bracket bolts also needed some heat

Everything finally came apart ..

There is a snap ring in the top to hold in the bearing, and once it's removed, a quick blow with a brass hammer from the back released the assembly.

The shaft popped out and the bearing was definitely rough.

Everything apart and ready for cleaning and reassembly.

The bearing is easily driven off the shaft with a brass hammer

The new bearing was pressed on the shaft using a socket to drive it on the shaft and the old seal and spacer were reused for installation back into the housing.

A socket was used to drive it home and reinstall the retainer clip.

Everything was reinstalled and the shaft was tight --

Good to go!

« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 06:35:04 PM by goodfellow »

Offline alwaysFlOoReD

Re: Mazda B2600 Power steering pump rebuild -
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 08:16:06 PM »
Nice job. I'm sure I will use some of that in the future.

Offline john k

Re: Mazda B2600 Power steering pump rebuild -
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 11:34:47 PM »
These step by step how to's with pics  are better than what I've seen in the tech manuals.    So they ran a sealed bearing in a unit that is full of oil?   Have to check my old Mazda.  Well done.