Author Topic: Your boss  (Read 8478 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Your boss
« on: December 24, 2018, 10:54:58 AM »
What does your boss do that pisses you off ?

I'm a weekend ( and whenever they need someone ) " maintenance " ( stock, trash , grill + whatever )worker at a pilot / flying J attached Wendy's.

Generally it's not a hard job, but the boss gets on my nerves sometimes.
He has an unrealistic sense of how long things should take, and he often re-asks questions as if he asks without listening just so you can't say he didn't ask.

The biggest thing he does that I hate is when he orders more cold and dry stock than we really need or have room for, I guess his policy is a lot now and a little mid week.
This means me in the cold box / freezer forever with pretty much no room to move and it just sucks.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

Re: Your boss
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 11:16:57 AM »
I closed my business in 2016, and have had a few jobs since then. Full and part time, permanent and temp work.

I find bosses are both extremes of the management style (micro-manage your every move to basically disconnected except when the owner is in town) - none in the middle where I am. The boss should do the things that only he can or should do - everything else gets delegated, and there's follow-up and accountability. Haven't found it anywhere. Not saying there aren't any good guys left, just that I ain't seeing it.

It's all about the bottom line - they don't really care about anything else so long as it doesn't affect the money. It gets extremely trying when working for a boss like that. Many things I can look past and ignore, but I draw the line when that unconcern ventures into the unsafe/dangerous catagory. I won't tolerate things that are unsafe - no job is worth unforced injury or worse.  When I as a almost 60 year old guy is out back unloading fifty 100 pound bags of cement ALONE in the heat of the summer while the millenials are inside watching UTube on their smartphones and nothing gets done about it? (I did have the 62 year old truck driver out there and he was assisting me some). Asta la vista baby!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 11:21:31 AM by bonneyman »

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 11:46:10 AM »
My last boss, the troll, was without question the worst boss, and worst by a huge margin, I have ever had. He was  ignorant, functionally illiterate, greedy, self centered, a closet racist and the most extreme misogynist I have ever personally met. He is controlling to the most minuet detail and has no filters - he says things I have never heard anyone say, at least anyone not wearing a sheet or an arm band.

He makes his younger brother Ebenezer look like a reckless spendthrift. He never gives anyone anything. Not a card, a present, even a happy birthday, a happy new year or a Merry Christmas and that includes his kids. He never bought any of them a present and if they got a present it was because his wife of the moment (he's on #5 currently) bought them something and then he raises a big stink for months over it.

He looks kind of like a bowling ball with stubby little arms and legs poking out around the circumference at regular intervals with a cue ball balanced on top with a Yosemite Sam mustache. The mustache was last trimmed about the time Nixon was president and usually showcased bits of the last couple meals he had. He presents as if he lives under a bridge in a cardboard box. He does have a good sense of hygiene though - he bathes once a week most times and you can always tell because that's when he changes his clothes. 
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 12:53:41 PM »
I have to say my wife was one of my best bosses when we ran her shop together. She always approved of me buying material handling equipment, tooling, machines and hand tools to improve production rates in the shop. My goal was not only increasing production rates but making the employees happier by making their work easier than it had been in the past. They also saw that being more productive led to them receiving increased wages. We did have to get rid of some long term employees as one day I heard the foreman telling an employee to slow down and quit working so fast. Employees like that can poison an entire shop and have to go out the door.

A bad boss can make being an employee miserable. Sometimes it can be from the boss never having had proper training or the boss thinking being a slave driver is the best way to make himself look good. The ones that have no people skills and lack tact can be the worse.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 01:00:33 PM »
my boss is an asshole............... >:(

me!
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 01:55:32 PM »
My boss is pretty good and everything ( this particular Wendy's is actually number one with the big inspections almost every year ) but sometimes he just does things you know.
My dad works here too, and one thing he hates most is how the management gets to go on trips as a reward for the good inspection score.
He says " but you guys get to have the big barbecue out back ", however this is for everyone so the management gets both.
Not that he or I would want to go on these trips, but the fact that they get a trip and get to be part of the barbecue as well does kind of suck.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 05:33:08 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline slip knot

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2018, 02:05:17 PM »
I seldom see my boss, He leaves me alone as long as we get done what needs to get done. My guys seldom see me as long as I don't see my boss.  ;D

You've heard the joke about the corporate ladder everyone looking down sees nothing but smiling faces, everyone looking up sees nothing but assholes. a lot of truth in that.

Offline TacticalFun

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2018, 02:32:13 PM »
My boss works me 80+hrs a week, multiple jobs a day, doesn't understand why i get mad at him for not providing prints and or support from the office etc.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Offline Elroy

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2018, 03:09:18 PM »
Elroy's boss is just like Howard Hughes. I've never met the man, I only talk with him on the phone.

The boss is in a different state. The only thing he cares about is the shop having the parts we need at no higher cost than necessary.

If the shop stocks out....Elroy better have a good reason and plans already in the works to remedy the issue at hand. Other than that Elroy speaks with his boss maybe once a month.

Have no doubt...Elroy has experienced the worse in "POS" supervisors. It's taken nearly 40 years of bustin ass and making things happen to enjoy his current situation.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2018, 03:28:20 PM »
You've heard the joke about the corporate ladder everyone looking down sees nothing but smiling faces, everyone looking up sees nothing but assholes. a lot of truth in that.

This joke is better:
Bosses are like diapers. All over your butt and full of crap! :))

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2018, 03:29:48 PM »
my boss is an asshole............... >:(

me!

Gosh SK - tell us how you really feel!  :D

Offline muddy

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2018, 04:31:34 PM »
My "boss" (service manager) is incompetent so just about anything he does pisses me off.

"The Boss" (owner of company) micro manages, and I'm not big into that.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2018, 06:54:33 PM »
I work for myself, so my boss is really lazy.

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2018, 08:17:50 PM »
Not to throw this into a slid, but since I got on at  the union job I have now the boss and supervisor/dispatchers are half way decent. None seem to have an actual clue but that isn't different than an the non union employment previous.

I hate meetings and one of the best things I was ever taught by a coworker was to never say anything at a meeting. Since I learned this I have found the meetings to be at least bearable. This guy who told this to me never said a syllable at any meeting I saw him at. So I have adopted this and it works great.

The silliest things are the dispatcher sending pickups to the hand held unit. Some have amounts that wont fit in the trailer. Some cant be gotten to in the time table. The truck only goes so fast. And on a rainy, Friday afternoon the week before Christmas the traffic just makes it just that much more impossible.

If a boss gets too much I just get the resume together and hunt the next employer. Life is way too short to put up with that and I'm not married to any of em.
Rich

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2018, 08:24:45 AM »
Been my own boss for 30 years, getting tired of it to tell the truth.  But don't think I could put up with corporate bs either so I likely made the best decision starting a business