Author Topic: Rural livin  (Read 11379 times)

Offline jabberwoki

Rural livin
« on: December 25, 2018, 07:29:14 PM »
So another potential place has popped up in WY.
It's got me thinking about the questions I should be asking the realtor.
Like well water supply ? How much is available? Pressure? Quality?
What else should I know?
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: Rural livin
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 07:49:47 PM »
I would think stuff related to the grid - power, phone service/cell service, internet, fire and emergency services. Maybe cable if you watch TV.

Building codes might be good to know - some places are pretty lax and some not so much.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 08:17:13 PM »
jab,

Ya might want to see if there are any available women living in WY.

just saying...
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2018, 08:47:10 PM »
if its got a water well, what about the septic system???

Any right of ways across the property. powerlines are pretty obvious but pipelines not so much. Same with easements, kinda sucks to buy a place and find out the neighbors have an easement thru your place. BTDT.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2018, 09:04:55 PM »
The alien has some good answers there.
I can give you some good info with what we went through buying a rural property. One of the priorities for us was to not be in a flood zone of any category. The property we bought is on a well with a septic system and no cable or natural gas so we use propane with wood as our primary heat source as to not burn too much propane running the furnace. The realtor may not be able to answer your questions about the well. We had five days to do our due diligence as we only had a 14 day escrow. Since the housing market was still down in Feb. 2011 we had no problem getting our inspections done.

First was the house inspection and second was the well test. The well guy came out and inspected the well for operation and condition. We found the well log on a state website from when the well was drilled and had all the details about depth and soil composition. The guy's uncle had drilled the well 22 years earlier. He checked the static water level and then performed a drawdown test to see where the level stabilized and running water through every hydrant, faucet and hose bib for an hour. He checked operation of the pump motor with a meter checking amperage. I had driven 40 miles up to the well quality testing company the day before to get the containers and instructions for the water testing. The well guy then showed me how to pull clean uncontaminated samples. The well guy then inspected our pressure tank which sits inside the garage next to the water heater. It was a new tank and the bladder and pressures were fine. Then I had to drive 40 miles to the testing company to drop off the water samples and pay for the testing and expedited extra fee to have the results the next day. The well water tested clean with good percentages and no bacteria. Only the arsenic was slightly above the federal level but the fed level is total BS so we were good.

Next up was the septic system inspection and pumping. The vacuum truck came and the driver checked operation of every drain in the house. We then had to locate the  concrete septic tank which we could only guess the location as nobody had put in an access hatch above the tank hatch. He flushed a transmitter ball down the toilet and got out his locator wand. We couldn't locate the ball which should of been in the tank. The driver studied the layout and guessed the location of the leach field by the condition and height of the sagebrush and took a guess on the tank location. He got a shovel and started digging the frozen ground and 3 feet later found the tank and happened to dig right where the hatch was. He pumped the contents of the tank into the truck and we ran clean water until he had the tank pretty clean and he pronounce the system operating properly and in good condition. Safety note: he did not enter the tank as that requires an approved fresh air system and mask and safety rope and equipment and observer. A good way to die is to enter the septic tank and not followed the safety rules. He also told us to put Rid-X down the toilet once  a month to keep the system happy. Also no eggshells, coffee grounds, limit use of the garbage disposal and throw leftover food away and no paper or feminine products except toilet paper to be flushed. Your regular favorite triple cushion soft paper is fine and no special type of paper needed. Follow those rules and the system should function properly and never need to be pumped again unless it is a large family.

We checked with the county and no HOA or CC&R's to restrict what we could do on the property. We checked setback requirements and had plenty of room to build a shop and barn. We are zoned rural agriculture which allows use of a shotgun or air rifle to control varmints. We also had to get satellite TV and internet as the cable ends 1/4 mile down the road. We finally did get DSL several years ago but since we are at the very end of the service area speeds suck especially evenings when people are on it and streaming stuff.

I hope I didn't overload you with info but this is exactly what we went through buying a rural property. The well and septic are the things that can end up costing you big money if they are not adequate or in bad shape. I feel flood zone is a big one also. Don't hesitate to ask me questions and don't rely too much on what the realtor and property owner tell you as they want to sell the property so you have to do the legwork yourself.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2018, 09:16:11 PM »
jafe pretty well covered it. i would say building codes is the least problematic . as long as you get a permit, build away from the road  and it looks good nobody cares what you have in it. i have seen problems with   wrecked cars. nobody wants forty  junk cars lined up with 10 foot weeds between them. put it under a rood and nobody cares .
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2018, 10:50:20 PM »

This is the place but this is not the realtor I`m dealing with.
The place does have convents , I`ll try and copy them and post them up.

http://crazywomanrealty.com/search-for-real-estate/north-eastern-wyoming-residential-properties/equine-tower-divide-cabin/

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2018, 10:55:52 PM »
Here they are

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2018, 12:01:26 AM »
Those CC&R's would put me off from that property. Read them carefully and understand the limitations. One is that cars that are not operable are not to be in view for more than one month. I understand that is to prevent the properties from being overrun with junk vehicles. Another one is the restrictions on operating a business on your property. Again that is to prevent a parade of vehicles such as customers and delivery trucks and such along with reducing noise and fumes. A business such as a bookkeeping service or something along those lines would be permissible. You are also responsible for the road upkeep and repairs in that tract. You would need to bank a certain amount of money to have that covered.

Those CC&R's are no means the most restrictive I have seen but they can be attractive to many buyers. We looked at one place and considered it until we read the CC&R's. Any changes to the fencing would have to be approved by a committee and if you wanted to paint the exterior of a building the color had to be approved by a committee. No Thanks.

See if you will be able to get 3 phase power at any place you look at. Where we live you cannot get it unless you are a business or have an agriculture well.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2018, 12:20:50 AM »
Looks like a great place. One question the phrase "Well maintained and clearly a loved home," sounds like realtor speak for needs work. I like the "a quaint town of under 400 people and one grouch ". I guess if you buy she'll have to amend that to two grouches.

You haven't been making models of mountains in your living have you?
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2018, 01:18:43 AM »
A few random thoughts on that property. No square footage listed but the CC&R's require 1000sqft minimum. Lower level unfinished so you could do that how you want it. It looks like a propane tank there so the stove is propane and hopefully the hot water heater also. Whoever lives there doesn't know how to clean the glass door on the wood stove. You would want to make sure the wood stove is new enough to be allowed to remain. Here it has to be newer than 2000 or so to meet regs when a home is sold. That stovepipe will be a bitch to clean at the top of that steep pitch. I hope those smoke detectors on the vaulted ceiling are hard wired as it would suck to change batteries. Only furnace register I noticed is in the wall along the stairs. Probably no central air as there is a window A/C in the bedroom.

A good looking property with a good percentage usable. I would also ask about the last time a fire swept through the area.

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2018, 08:13:52 AM »
Ah yes, FIRE!!  Check on the fire company, you will probable find it is volunteer and they are finding it had to find enough people.  Check on the response time to your proposed place.  Looks like the previous owners considered that, as little planting around the house, but all you need is fire to get under the deck.  Metal roof, that helps.

I bought and live very rural in Missouri, no plantings around the house, hardy plank siding and metal roof.  Also no wood decks, only porches on concrete.  Made so if fire sweeps the area the house will remain.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2018, 10:01:46 AM »
is the shop your gonna build be approved by the committee or will it be considered commercial? and not allowed?

What is commercial livestock? if they don't want CAFOs why not just say that. Commercial livestock is any that sells. Cant say about WY but in TX if you don't have livestock on the property the taxes will eat you up. one of my little places the taxes went from $900/yr to $5/yr simply because I ag exempted it.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2018, 10:17:47 AM »
The guy who drew up the plans for our shop recommended it be called an RV garage. ;D

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2018, 10:40:37 AM »
On the plus side, it looks like there are several ideal spots to get a good shooting range together (unless CCNRs prohibit.) Is the barn paved? I don't see you as a horseman so that there is a good sized shop...

More importantly, have you talked to this realtor? The reason I ask is I almost bought a property online (from a distance like you are doing) got up there and went "No, hell no."  I then started talking to the realty agent, letting her know what I wanted, what I was going to pay, that kinda thing. She helped me find a place that met my needs really quick in a tight market. (Its now my rental.) It looks like this company does WY and SD, so they should have a good grip on what is coming to market, what to avoid, etc. The internet gives us a feeling that we can do it ourselves, but having an agent, especially with that much distance, really helps.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2018, 02:43:52 PM »
Yeah i do have a local agent looking but at the end of the day they`re in it to make money so the more i educate myself the better i`ll be.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2018, 05:15:22 PM »
Hi Steve,

With a town of 400 pop, that makes for some slim pickins, for all choices, regarding everything. What about your machines, i know you'll be moving them. Is there room and power or the chance of even getting the power. You have some 3 phase stuff correct?

Don't get me wrong I like Rural and that's a sharp place, just don't let the stars get in your eyes. Like me i think you would be unhappy if to far remote from things & stuff, that today are run of the mill, as in available ...

Pep
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 06:38:43 PM by pep »
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2018, 05:19:30 PM »
That looks like 40 acres of, IMO overpriced, land with maybe $100k worth of buildings on it. Unless you really want a "horse farm" that pasture land looks like a ton of time and money in upkeep since no "commercial ag" is allowed. If you just want land so you don't have to deal with neighbors look for timber, or pasture you can rent out for hay or grazing.

The cabin unless it's been built really tight, and heavily isulated, is gonna take a lot to heat. I've owned a similar sized place with vaulted ceilings and you couldn't give me another. And it didn't have an open stairway to the basement and was in a much milder climate.

fire and emergency services.

Don't count on having any to amount to anything. It'll be a long wait for an ambulance and fire and S.O. ain't likely to show up early enough to do any good.

Along the same lines find out how close the nearest E.R. is. And the closest big hospital.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2018, 06:42:25 PM »
Yeah I'm still thinking about the logistics of being out in the boonies.
Defiantly got some conjugating to do.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2018, 07:13:39 PM »
... Defiantly got some conjugating to do.

Collecting verbs?

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2018, 07:21:07 PM »
Na I`ve just got a Readers Digest next to the dunny.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2018, 07:36:17 PM »
Appropriate since that's the end of digestion.

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2018, 07:40:40 PM »
J.A.F.E-----I don't think you are spending enough time on that project you planned to work on. :))

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2018, 09:00:33 PM »
Was it something I said?  :'(

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2018, 09:28:35 PM »
Again again and again :-[

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2018, 09:49:03 PM »
Well at least I'm consistent.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2018, 10:55:11 PM »
So what about this grouch?
boop/bop/beep

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2018, 08:12:24 AM »
Jabber, I have to agree with Matt, seems priced pretty high for Wyoming but that is a guess on my part.

Offline highland512

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2018, 08:37:08 AM »
I did not expect a 40ac tract with a cabin and a barn to cost that much in rual WY. What does the average acre of pasture sell for in WY?

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2018, 07:44:01 PM »

It`s the area around Devils tower prices are high because on that tower and it`s bloody beautiful.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2018, 08:48:54 PM »
That price is inline around here. going price for undeveloped land around here is $5k/acre. Shack and barn adds at least another $200K.

My retirement plan includes lots of  "for sale" signs and relocation.

Offline john k

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2018, 12:49:51 AM »
That part of the country is pretty arid, and water is often at a premium,  usually a new well requires a permit.   I'd be checking for old capped oil and gas wells.  Also for any pipelines buried across the property.  Property is priced due to the location near Devils Tower,  check 50  miles further away and see the price go down.  Covenants near a town of $400 ?  Again location, location.   Would think fire danger is a high risk around there,  with fire protection so far away.   The altitude also contributes to longer and colder winters. 
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 12:53:20 AM by john k »

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2018, 07:45:55 AM »
There are many beautiful places in this country to live without paying that kind of money. But hey, if that is what a guy wants more power to ya!  ;)
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2018, 03:37:31 PM »
One thing about expensive ground.  It could very likely always be expensive ground.  Meaning you pay a premium when you buy it but it sells for a premium when you are done with it. 

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2018, 07:38:27 PM »
One thing about expensive ground.  It could very likely always be expensive ground.  Meaning you pay a premium when you buy it but it sells for a premium when you are done with it.

Excellent point Phil!
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2018, 07:25:21 PM »
What are the three factors in real estate? Location, location, location. If you are that close to Devils Tower, then you are gonna pay.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2018, 07:46:10 PM »
This way he doesn't have to watch TV.