VEHICLES > Bikes/Trikes/Choppers/Scooters & etc.

My Bicycle-- 1995 Specialized Hardrock Ultra 21-Gear, Wt~32lbs

(1/5) > >>

lauver:
Gang,

I bought this bike at an insurance company auction for $65; the bike had been stolen and recovered, but after the claim had been settled.  When I acquired the bike it was filthy dirty, rusted, had two flat/cracked tires, and all of the cabling & levers were trashed.  When I got it home I gave it a good scrubbing, a lube all around, adjusted the seat and handlebars, and installed two new inner tubes.  When I took it for a test ride, it was clear that it needed more work and fine adjustments.  I took it to a bike shop and had them true up the rims, replace and upgrade all the cabling, levers, and shifters.  I took it for a second test ride and was surprised to find that it was like a new bike... except for the brakes and tires.  So, I bought some new brake pads and street tires, installed them, and went for a third test ride.  Wow, this bike was like new, and functioned with ease and precision.  I've pretty much ridden it ever since with just minimal annual maintenance and garage storage.

Here's a quick pic:

Updated 12/31/18  Bike Spec's:

Frame-- Chrome Moly, made in various Asian countries, frame size is 17.3" measured from center of BB to top of seat tube, total bike weight as outfitted is 32 lbs.

Rims are aluminum, spokes SS, and hubs are aluminum alloy, all made in Japan by Araya, original to bike.

Tires are Kenda Kross Plus 26 x 1.95, Taiwanese, pretty much road slicks with off-road  lugs on the sidewalls.  These were not original to the bike.

All components are Asian made Shimano Acera X, end to end, top to bottom, except the HTI P-42 (?) pedals and the handgrips which came from an old dirt bike I used to own.  They are comfortable, grippy, and compatible with the Shimano shift levers & brake levers.  And, they look most manly.

A note on the frame size-- When I inspected the bike at the auction, my first thought was that the frame was too small for me.  However, after riding it for 20 some odd years, I've come to believe I've got exactly the frame size I need.  For example, when straddling the frame with both feet flat on the ground, I've got exactly 3" of space between the top tube and "my boys".  That's an important margin.  Also, a larger frame would have added more weight to the bike.  I like being able to lift and throw this bike around.  There have also been a few times when I had to carry my bike out of the boonies with a flat tire.  At 32 lbs, these are easy tasks.

As usual, your comments, questions, and observations are always welcome.

J.A.F.E.:
Very nice!

What is the stand it's on? Does it have a kickstand?

Not trying to get personal but how much did all that cabling and wheel truing end up costing?

oldnslo:
Bikes are fun, and that looks like a great one to have fun on.

goodfellow:
Haven't ridden a bike in 10 years, but that looks pretty good to me. Nice work Gary  8)

lauver:
JAFE-- No kick stand.  Bike is sitting on a 2.5 Ton jack stand.  I think she'll hold.  I think the 1st trip to the bike shop (cables, levers, derailers, and wheel truing cost me about $100.  But it was well worth it... those guys transformed my ratty-ass bike into a Swiss watch.

OnS-- I have no complaints about this ride.  The old seat is shredded, but I have a new seat in the ready.  I think I'm going to do some mod's to the old seat and see if I can't make a "New, Improved, and Anatomically Corrected" seat.  If you take my meaning  :D

GF-- I'm not saying I put a lot of miles on it, but I still like taking a ride at least once a week... sometimes 3 or 4.  I always feel better, more alert, and more limber after a good sprint.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version