TOOLS AND THE SHOP > WELDING & METAL FABRICATION

Bending some stainless for my bench top.

(1/5) > >>

walrus:
Got some used sheets of stainless from a deli kitchen. It was on the walls under the hood behind fryolators grills etc. Its got some holes in it but it would make a nice bench top if I can get it bent.  I don't have a brake nor do I know anyone with a brake. Anyway I can get a decent bend on it using some backyard techniques  ;)

slip knot:
stainless gonna be tough without a brake. its got a lot of spring to it. or that's been my experience with it.

might be time to fab up a quick pan brake.

goodfellow:
Years ago I used a section of heavy angle iron that I drilled on each end to allow it to be bolted to a bench so that the sharp edge is flush with the edge of the bench/ I bent a lip on several 3ft pieces of 22ga SS. Worked OK -- it wasn't a knife edge bend as is obtained with a brake, but more of a tight radius bend. 

pep:
Maybe cut it to fit top, trim the edge with some angle, could use aluminum with 45s on corners. Good score ..

Uncle Buck:

--- Quote from: walrus on January 27, 2019, 02:38:22 PM ---Got some used sheets of stainless from a deli kitchen. It was on the walls under the hood behind fryolators grills etc. Its got some holes in it but it would make a nice bench top if I can get it bent.  I don't have a brake nor do I know anyone with a brake. Anyway I can get a decent bend on it using some backyard techniques  ;)

--- End quote ---

The material is tough to bend unless you are set up for it, plus, keep in mind that is costly material you don't want to mess up trying to go cheap. Find a good HVAC or sheet metal shop that can do the job and pay them to do it right for you. The cost of the material is far greater than what it will cost to have it bent up good for you. Paying for that job will be well worth it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version