VEHICLES > TRACTORS/MOWERS/HEAVY EQUIPMENT

Need tractor advice

(1/10) > >>

m_fumich:
I will be in the market for a tractor in the next 6 to 18 months. I’ve seen a few YouTube videos were the YouTuber was giving reasons not to buy Kubota or Mahindra. While I’d love an 8N or 9N Ford, I want a front loader. A 3-point hutch and PTO are ubiquitous. I want to be able to use the 5’ rotary cutter I have and I’d like to get a detachable backhoe setup.

Any recommendations? Cost is a BIG factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coolmercury:
There are always people telling you not to buy a certain tractor.  I had a 1985 JD 850 that I sold recently and it never gave me any trouble.  I have a 5410 JD and it has been a lemon from day one.  And I have a 6800 Kubota that has never been down a day.  Of all the tractors I have had the Kubota is first on my list.  I don't know anything about the Mahrindra tractors, but I like their off road utility vehicle.

muddy:
Assuming we're talking compact tractors? Kubota's one downfall is their lightness, their often a bit light weight (both physical weight and material wise). If maintained and not abused kubota's are good tractors. I've seen many with high hours still getting the job done.

Ford / New Holland tractors are good and can be gotten for fair prices as well.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

m_fumich:

--- Quote from: muddy on April 28, 2019, 08:03:44 PM ---Assuming we're talking vcompact tractors? Kubota's one downfall is their lightness, they aren't as heavy-duty as some others.

Ford / New Holland tractors are good and can be gotten for fair prices.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

--- End quote ---

I only need one big enough to operate a 5’ bush hog and a backhoe attachment without breaking. If I could find an 8N with a bucket, I’d get that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeadNutz:
We almost purchased a Kubota compact as we were getting desperate for a tractor. Then right before we pulled the trigger we found a used Massey Ferguson 40B industrial tractor with a 5300lb capacity bucket and a Gannon box scraper with hydraulic tilt for a fraction of the cost of the new tractor. I have put some $800 into it and am still way ahead. I have been able to do far more with the bigger tractor that I couldn't do with a compact. An example is a new neighbor didn't need the horse corral on his property and we removed posts which were railroad ties cemented in. The large capacity bucket makes moving landscaping rocks and gravel a breeze.
I also felt that a box scraper is more useful to me than a backhoe.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version