TOOLS AND THE SHOP > MECHANIC HAND TOOLS WE USE

Post up your Bonney tools!

(1/19) > >>

bonneyman:
Wrenches.
To me, wrenches and ratchets are the mainstay of a hand tool manufacturer. What kinds of wrenches they make, and what innovations the ratchets contain, define the company in my book.
First thing I look at when a new brand comes out is the wrenches. Combo wrenches are a good indicator, as they have a box end and an open end. You can see the overall length (is it well matched to the opening sizes), the shape (and thus comfort) of the shank, and the quality of the finish. Used to be that the combo wrenches were the backbone of the hand tools. I think that that has shifted to the double box wrenches. DBE's lack an open end, but in alot of applications today open ends have taken a back seat. DBE's provide more grip, are less prone to slip, and each wrench can have two sizes, making them more versatile. For me, the DBE's are the flagships of the tool line. (It might explain why I'm always buying them even though I have plenty!)

Bonney is no exception. Their DBE's since 1967 have the patented Loc-Rite broaching system. This rounded profile grips fasteners away from the corners and more on the flats. This reduces slippage, and allows for greater torque to be applied without damaging the fastener or the tool. Nowadays virtually every manufacturer offers some form of enhanced grip on their box ends and sockets. But back in the 60's, it was a true innovation, and I think Bonney did it better than anybody around.

bonneyman:
Ratchets.
During the Triangle Tool era Bonney employed a double see-saw pawl design that effectively doubled the tooth count of their ratchets. 36 teeth became 72 effectual teeth. Though I never considered Bonney ratchets "smooth" I'd have to say they are quite stout. (Think of the S-K roundhead times two)! I have seen my share of Bonney ratchets with a broken pawl - it's only recently that I discovered a way to keep using the ratchet with the single remaining pawl by doing a small mod. At least it keeps you form having to throw the ratchet away (or saving the parts for the next rat)!
The mainstay of the Bonney ratchet line during the last few decades of their operation were the -702K models. The first letter prefix designated the drive size (R=3/4, A=1/2, T=3/8, and V=1/4). In fact, they followed this same prefix code for all of the sockets and drive accessories.
Here's my complete collection along with a triple play glamour shot.

bonneyman:
Sockets and the Loc-Rite broaching.

These pictures clearly show the rounded profile of the Loc-Rite broaching in Bonney sockets. About the only complaint I have with these tools is the broaching doesn't go down the whole length of the deep sockets - they broached only the ends.

bonneyman:
Flare wrenches.

The Cam-Loc ratcheting flares design spun off into forged DFE wrenches, and the results were fabulous! Though the older normal 12 point flare wrenches were pretty good, too.

bonneyman:
Cam-Loc ratcheting flare wrenches.
In 1951 a gentleman by the name of Kavalar patented a design of moveable rollers held in relative position by a long coil spring, which would however permit some backwards movement. This created a sort of ratcheting action that was incorporated into a line of flare wrenches for automotive brakes and hydraulic system. A fore runner of Loc-Rite, it moved the contact away form the corners and onto the flats, thereby reducing rounding and slippage. very useful in pressurized systems. Eventually they moved on to HVAC, as soft brass flared fitting were routinely subjected to over torquing, damage, and distortion. In 1964 this round pin design was forged into alloy steel and became Loc-Rite, which became a Bonney anchor point from 1967 on.

Original patent: http://www.datamp.org/patents/advance.php?pn=2550010&id=40669&set=1

They were made in single and double ended varieties. Here's my set of DFE's.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version