Author Topic: Old and worn out tools --  (Read 9632 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Old and worn out tools --
« on: August 16, 2018, 01:15:56 PM »
Here are a few examples of tools from my dad and grandfather's day that I don't use anymore because they are totally worn out, or that I want to preserve for nostalgic reasons

3/8 drive flex and regular sockets (Herbrand and New Britain mostly) They are totally worn --

1/2" drive deep (mostly Blackhawk) and shallow chrome (New Britain) and impact (Armstrong)

3/8 drive Armstrong, Herbrand and C-man

1/2 drive mostly SK

Screwdrivers -- Yellow handled XceLite with the "smelly" handles

A few vintage Stanley's

Dunlap Pliers

Xcelite Pliers

WT Grant and SK pliers

Vintage C-Man impact hammer. Crude, VERY loud and a short stroke make this thing impossible to use on anything but mufflers and sheet metal cutting

Worn out C-Man micrometer -- threads are shot, but my dad used it for many years

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
Re: Old and worn out tools --
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 01:47:09 PM »
Heck Ray, looks like you rooted through my box and took pictures of my users!  :o
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 02:00:08 PM »
Heck Ray, looks like you rooted through my box and took pictures of my users!  :o

LOL -- not these Herb. Many of them have metal fatigue and cracks. My grandpa's New Britain socket set is currently in use in one of my vehicle road boxes, but many or the original sockets had to be replaced because of stress cracks. The micrometer is totally FUBAR -- threads are stripped and the standards are not even close anymore.

Offline highland512

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 03:29:45 PM »
exactly what I was thinking.  :-[

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 07:35:43 PM »
Nothing wrong with keeping tools that have a heritage to them. I have some of my dad's tools but they are in rough shape. He serviced pools and would keep the tools in a chlorine case. Most of mom's Craftsman socket sets and wrenches I gave to my sister.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 07:44:44 PM »
Most of the tools from my grandfather look like this, but I use them because there are many tools I still need.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 08:58:54 PM »
Nearly all 500+ tools in my displays.  I seek worn and well used for the local history.

I used to buy them for Dr. Frankenstrik experiments but lately I find too many of those never get used. 

Offline Crispycritter

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 12:10:41 PM »
Sounds like a personal problem by the title... Lol...

Looks like some of my users