Author Topic: Any Detroit Diesel gurus on here?  (Read 31 times)

Online nelstomlinson

Any Detroit Diesel gurus on here?
« on: April 26, 2024, 12:08:00 PM »
I just bought a Huber Warco 4D grader, and it has what I'm pretty sure is a DD 4-53. It's old and thrashed, but the only thing it obviously needs is an oil change. I have a bunch of Rotella 15W-40, and some Delo 15W-40. Is either of them suitable for this old iron?

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
Re: Any Detroit Diesel gurus on here?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2024, 02:20:32 PM »
Detroits will burn a lot of oil running multi-weight. Straight SAE 30 is what they were designed for.

The saying for saltwater chevys is, you know they're out of oil when they stop leaking. Haven't met one that didn't mark it's territory constantly.

If it hasn't been started in a couple years, and double so if it's sitting outside, pull the valve cover and work the injector racks to make sure they're free. Have somebody stand next to the intake with a board to slam over and choke it out when you start it in case it decides to go to the moon. The emergency shutdown flap in the blower is usually froze or has been sucked through before and won't work when you need it. Even it does, don't use it for shutting the engine down under normal circumstances.

Otherwise, a jimmy was one of the best engine designs ever built. If you can stand the noise.

Online nelstomlinson

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2024, 04:46:46 PM »
I'll look for some single viscosity oil, but it sounds like I won't hurt it with the multi-visc I have on hand, as long as I keep pouring it through. Thanks.

It's run some recently, and I roaded it home Tuesday night.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2024, 05:52:05 PM »
Any oil you dump in a DD will be black within 5 minutes of run time.

Online nelstomlinson

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2024, 05:53:49 PM »
Most of my old machines are like that, slip knot.