Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 689944 times)

Offline oldnslo

Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #105 on: September 03, 2018, 11:08:24 AM »
I've been cleaning up my 3/8" transport chain collection. I'ts grown over the years, and time to thin the herd. I've sold 3 20-footers as of late, some needing some touch-ups with the welder and grinder to make them presentable again. Some had been pieced together from 2 remnants by prior owners, and all needed a good polishing by dragging them behind the riding mower on  the property. I let those go, and somehow having 10 still left in the collection I bought another one off Ebay (close to the house), and bypassed the shipping for a sweet deal.

Those China chains simply do not measure 3/8" and while to Harry Homeowner, they will do the job, they just don't impress me. Give me a well patina'd vintage chain over an import yellow chromate version stamped with China on the links anyday.

Offline Papaw

• Old Wrench Freak
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #106 on: September 03, 2018, 04:29:32 PM »
Just curious- What does a good chain sell for these days, if you are willing to say.
Owner and Administrator of Tool Talk

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #107 on: September 03, 2018, 10:42:53 PM »
Well, its kind of like, how much is a 1" combo wrench. Its all about new, vs used, vs brand, vs premium, vs economy. With chains, there is the grade factor, which the vast majority of sellers don't know or care about. Rusty used ones seems to go for $40 to $80 for a 20 ft section. I only haul my vintage tractors, and an occasional vehicle on a gooseneck. Since I am not DOT controlled, I dont have to worry about inspections.

If buying used, inspect every link.

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #108 on: September 04, 2018, 03:59:47 PM »
In the Missouri Ozarks at farm auctions 20 foot chains usually go for about $20.00 as long as they have good hooks.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #109 on: September 04, 2018, 04:07:33 PM »
Yeah, I get about $20 for a 20 foot chain if it has hooks.  To get more then that is has to be a newish USA chain and look good

Offline slip knot

« Reply #110 on: September 04, 2018, 06:20:35 PM »
Once the cad plating or the tag comes off the value really drops. TxDps looks really hard at rusty chains. Clean newer chains get a pass.

Offline Papaw

• Old Wrench Freak
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #111 on: September 04, 2018, 06:39:24 PM »
I sat on the bench outside enjoying the cool air due to the storm in the Gulf. I hope folks in Mississippi don't get hammered.
I noticed that the grandkids left a ball in the net of the kiddy goal. I got out my old Canon 5D Classic and a 100mm macro lens and shot this image.

Ball in Net by Noel Hankamer, on Flickr
Owner and Administrator of Tool Talk

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #112 on: September 04, 2018, 10:01:15 PM »
Had to drag my trailer up to Carson City to pick up a curio/china cabinet that one of our members donated to our chapter. That thing is solid oak and heavy and was two pieces. Removed all the glass from the top unit and then it was light enough for two of us to carry it out the door and out to the trailer. Pulled the three 2" thick doors off the bottom unit and then the 2 of us could carry it.
It was only a 3 mile trip back to the airport and we moved out our old display case and set the new one up. We had to take down our coffee cup racks due to the height of the new cabinet and ran a mile down the road to the helper's house to use his radial arm saw to cut the two racks into four and go back to remount them between the entry door and cabinet. I'm sure we'll hear about mixing all the cups up tomorrow night at our meeting and potluck and at our Friday lunch.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 10:14:23 PM by DeadNutz »

Offline muddy

« Reply #113 on: September 06, 2018, 07:14:57 PM »
Condition report on new to us forklifts. Not that much fun. Was also a heat index of 101°. About 90° in the shop. Go through lots of water.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #114 on: September 06, 2018, 07:45:47 PM »
Today I mothballed the shop as the boss is on vacation for the coming week.   Took tools inside and did some cleaning. 

Made a phone call and lined up a week of work in another shop to not lose a payday.   Went to get my son after school and we went home.

A long weekend ahead and then a week in the oil baths of a diesel shop.  If the money wasn't badly needed....

Offline slip knot

« Reply #115 on: September 06, 2018, 07:59:23 PM »
Took delivery of the new ride. ordered July 7, showed up today. Almost a month sooner than promised. :-*

Offline muddy

« Reply #116 on: September 06, 2018, 08:14:57 PM »
Nice aluminum can!

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #117 on: September 06, 2018, 08:30:53 PM »
Nice looking truck. Diesel? Gas?
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #118 on: September 06, 2018, 08:34:20 PM »
Gas, no emissioned diesel for me.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #119 on: September 06, 2018, 09:08:50 PM »
I guess the diesels are a lot less attractive these days especially with the premium price.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.