Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 690249 times)

Offline muddy

Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #2175 on: May 28, 2021, 09:15:20 PM »
I am digging the grill resto.  Looks good

And the childrens,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,they look so innocent :))
awe phil come on . we  know you mean get to work little tool thieves so the mudman will come tool shopping.  :97:

:)) :)) :)) LOL -- that's funny because I was thinkin' the same thing when I first read Phil's post. ----- Sam raiding dad's tools which necessitates a trip down to see uncle Phil.
:))

Sent from the twisted mind of the mudman

Offline Rural53

« Reply #2176 on: June 01, 2021, 05:53:27 PM »
Getting on the plane this morning to Christchurch for a week. Offroad racing National round on the weekend.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #2177 on: June 01, 2021, 09:31:19 PM »
Mt Ruapehu, winter is definitely starting here.

Leaving the North Island with the South Island in the background.

Interesting colour rental car, almost the colour my Dad's truck was in the 80's.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #2178 on: June 01, 2021, 11:31:14 PM »
Christchurch giving me a special welcome.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #2179 on: June 02, 2021, 09:36:10 AM »
Rural funny you mention the color of the rental car.  I have seen some unusual colors on new cars.  Being color blind, can't always identify what a color is but know if I like it or not

Saw a new Vette that appeared to be an industrial equipment gray color, no thanks.  Have been seeing that color more and more on new cars

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2180 on: June 02, 2021, 09:53:23 AM »
Rural funny you mention the color of the rental car.  I have seen some unusual colors on new cars.  Being color blind, can't always identify what a color is but know if I like it or not

Saw a new Vette that appeared to be an industrial equipment gray color, no thanks.  Have been seeing that color more and more on new cars

Shiny primer cuts costs?  :lol_hitting:

Offline john k

« Reply #2181 on: June 02, 2021, 01:19:39 PM »
Said this before, for the past 8 - 10 years the majority of vehicles are white, black or some shade of gray or silver.  Only recently have seen the little cars come with these Easter egg colors.   Wasnt long ago an all white vehicle was from a fleet buy.  Not many folk wanted black because it is tough to keep clean.   I think the reason for the black, white, gray has been the social political climate, the PC correctness, causing folk to not want to stand out of the crowd.   For fall coming on in the southern hemisphere, it still looks darn good.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #2182 on: June 02, 2021, 04:06:40 PM »
Said this before, for the past 8 - 10 years the majority of vehicles are white, black or some shade of gray or silver.  Only recently have seen the little cars come with these Easter egg colors.   Wasnt long ago an all white vehicle was from a fleet buy.  Not many folk wanted black because it is tough to keep clean.   I think the reason for the black, white, gray has been the social political climate, the PC correctness, causing folk to not want to stand out of the crowd.   For fall coming on in the southern hemisphere, it still looks darn good.

Man that's a stretch................  :-\
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #2183 on: June 02, 2021, 06:29:35 PM »
We had a 4.1 not far from here last week in the middle of Lake Tahoe. My desk chair shook and my monitor wobbled. There are some really different colors available now and some colors make good looking vehicles look like crap.

Rural, was that a Q or an ATR you flew in?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 06:32:45 PM by DeadNutz »

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2184 on: June 02, 2021, 06:36:14 PM »
Wow Rural, I guess you can't win for loosing. Hope you good folks in Christchurch are OK. God bless!

As far the color is concerned, and as the 1970's were my formative years, I tend to gravitate toward that bold look.--- Love the blue.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #2185 on: June 02, 2021, 09:37:17 PM »
Rural, was that a Q or an ATR you flew in?

ATR72-600

As for the earthquake, I thought someone had backed into it before I even got it out of the rental car carpark.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 09:06:49 PM by Rural53 »

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2186 on: June 02, 2021, 09:45:15 PM »
I really considered a white truck when I bought the 2019.

My buddy lives out in the woods, he had some hoodlums drive by shooting up the place one night in a white Ford truck. He called the sheriffs office and told them to catch those guys in that white Ford truck. The dispatcher laughed and told him every oilfield company in the area drives white Ford trucks and they would pass 100 or more just getting to his place.

Something to be said about blending in to the crowd. :93:

Offline Rural53

« Reply #2187 on: June 04, 2021, 06:44:20 AM »
So a fairly busy day today. After breakfast in a cafe appropriately called Joe's Garage, I headed to the Canterbury Museum. They have an Antarctic exhibition on.

Antarctic Motor Tractor, built in 1914 with a four cylinder Coventry-Simplex engine. Despite extensive the testing, once on the ice it failed and was subsequently abandoned.

Model 743 Tucker Sno-Cat one of four used in the 1957-58 Commonwealth Trans-Antarctic Expedition. The first motorised crossing of the continent.

One of five Ferguson TE20 tractors modified for the same expedition. These were used by the Ross Sea Party, lead by Sir Edmond Hillary, of Mt Everest fame, who set off from the opposite end and headed toward the South Pole establishing supply dumps along the way. Sir Ed being Sir Ed decided, once they had established the final supply dump that they might as well continue to the South Pole. They were waiting their when the main expedition turned up, making them the first people to make it to the Pole by motorised means. The expedition leader was not amused.

1964 Polaris Sno-Traveler Model K-95.

The Paua House was originally in Bluff at the bottom of the South Island. The house was owned by elderly couple who built up a massive collection of ornaments and trinkets made from the iridescent shells of paua (abalone).

When they died, the house was purchased by their grandson. He loaned the collection to Canterbury Museum. Parts of the house were recreated by the museum.

In 1970 Ivan Mauger became the first person to win three consecutive Individual World Speedway Championships. In recognition of this two American fans offered to have his motorcycle, this one, gold plated.

Another of Ivan Mauger's motorcycles.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 06:47:40 AM by Rural53 »

Offline Rural53

« Reply #2188 on: June 04, 2021, 06:56:51 AM »
Christchurch is one of the oldest cities in New Zealand. It has a lot of stone buildings. In the September 2010 earthquake a lot of these buildings were serverly damaged and are still being repaired. 

These are a couples of photos I took waking back to my car.

This is in the courtyard.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 06:59:45 AM by Rural53 »

Offline Rural53

« Reply #2189 on: June 04, 2021, 07:11:29 AM »
In this group of buildings was a small museum called the Tecee Museum of Classic Antiquities.

Medusa funeral pot 2nd century BC

Various Mediterranean artifacts 3rd century BC to 2nd century AD

Roman floor mosaic from Syria, 5th century AD