Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 690024 times)

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #2730 on: April 04, 2023, 01:06:35 AM »
Congratulations. Not sure what of the proper greeting would be so excuse the lack of etiquette.

The beard looks great.

I have a goatee and mustache. My wife and I are always in discussion about me trimming it. I like the natural look she likes it trim and neat. Usually when I have the barber trim it my instructions are keep it long and not too neat. I'd do it myself but... I can get one side perfect but never get the other side to match.

"Hey you!" still works, amongst others  :93:

I got the beard trimmed for the occasion, he probably shortened it by a third.  Before that it was pretty wild, I've been going with the crazy mountain man look for the last while just having fun with it.  My wife was hoping it was going to come right off.  Maybe when the weather warms up!

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2731 on: April 04, 2023, 10:01:37 AM »
Beard looks good.

My wife likes the goatee and mustache she just wants the trimmed urban version.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #2732 on: April 04, 2023, 12:42:09 PM »
George, the car turned out nice and your logic about keeping it going makes sense.  If you stumble across a hood in the right color, great, if not, oh well :))

Offline muddy

« Reply #2733 on: April 04, 2023, 09:49:18 PM »
Pretty cool setup. Did all that stuff come in one kit? I like the idea of a mini paint booth for spraying -- very cool. When I did that kind of work, I usually scavenged  a large carboard box with a fan and filter mounted to the back to pull fumes. This setup is so much easier and way more elegant. Congrats Tim!
No all bought separately. The compressor and airbrush were a lot from Harbor freight as with the air brush cleaner (glass jar). Dual action brush, basically a copy of an IWATA. It's not the greatest and out of the combo the compressor is the better item in the package. But it'll probably do me fine, till I decide I need a better airbrush

https://www.harborfreight.com/airbrush-compressor-combo-kit-57637.html

The booth came from Amazon. Takes a standard 20x20x1 furnace filter and has straps for a standard box fan on the back. This is actually the smallest one and was a lot bigger when set up (a good thing) Folds down in to a pouch small as a medium pizza. This one was $30 they make a large one about the size of a 4 person tent.

Wagner Spraytech C900051 HomeRight Small Spray Shelter Portable Paint Booth for DIY Spray Painting, Hobby Paint Booth Tool Painting Station, Spray Paint Tent https://a.co/d/4CWRw9e

The lazy susan stand is  from hobby lobby. But they're sold all over the place, even Amazon.

TAMIYA 74522 Spray Work Painting Stand Set Makes Airbrushing and Spray Painting Easy https://a.co/d/eSlQHCS

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman

Offline muddy

« Reply #2734 on: April 04, 2023, 09:49:51 PM »
I've been a Freemason for about 24 years now, was installed as "Worshipful Master" (aka President of the club) on Saturday.  Even trimmed my beard for the occasion!
Congratulations!

Offline Rural53

« Reply #2735 on: April 05, 2023, 12:50:11 PM »

Flight 1 of the morning. On my way to Wheels at Wanaka vintage machinery show.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #2736 on: April 05, 2023, 03:27:39 PM »
Rural, can't wait to see the pics

Enjoy

Offline Rural53

« Reply #2737 on: April 05, 2023, 05:52:16 PM »
A320 out of Auckland to Queenstown. Forgot that you have to allow time to deal with AvSec (TSA) when you fly on jets so was part of the group that was the last on the plane.

The lower South Island is quite dry, remembering it is the end of summer here.

Queenstown is always interesting to fly into as the mountains are really close.

Queenstown Airport

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2738 on: April 05, 2023, 09:15:00 PM »
George, the car turned out nice and your logic about keeping it going makes sense.  If you stumble across a hood in the right color, great, if not, oh well :))

Thanks, all!

The decision was made after our mechanic at the time said this series and era of Buick had proven to be very reliable and popular. It is beginning to throw some codes and has some issues, but we're not ready to get a newer vehicle yet.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #2739 on: April 06, 2023, 04:52:34 AM »
Picked up my rental car and headed to Wanaka over the Crown Range. Scenery on the way.

Lake Hayes

Remarkables (all very Lord of the Rings)

The Crown Range Road is very steep and winding.

View from lookout half way up.

View from the top back into Queenstown.

This is a bad cellphone pic but there is a 100 seat ATR-72 flying through the valley on approach to the airport in it.

A few from Cardrona at about the half way point.

After checking in at the Air BnB I headed about 45 minutes down the road to Highlands Motorsport Track to have a look at the museum there.

So below the terrace is the (in)famous loos with a view.

I then headed back to Wanaka to recci tomorrows dawn photos of the Wanaka Tree.

While I was having dinner in a pub in town these two traction engines went passed.

I should point out that the Wheels at Wanaka event is a vintage construction and farming equipment show.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 11:33:44 PM by Rural53 »

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2740 on: April 06, 2023, 07:39:08 AM »
Thanks for those great pics Rural. Beautiful country, and I guess the cooler weather makes it that much more enjoyable.

Offline Midnitemack

« Reply #2741 on: April 06, 2023, 11:34:36 AM »
Justin , so it looks like the car that always was outside the Cardrona Pub is gone !!

https://images.app.goo.gl/rfGLhVeBmSxoxytw8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rural53

« Reply #2742 on: April 08, 2023, 06:38:17 PM »
Sunday at Wheels at Wanaka waiting for the modifieds to start at the tractor pull.

Modified

Midnitemac's mate, the Gooserooter's V8 504 Cummins powered Fordson Major

« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 07:04:53 PM by Rural53 »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2743 on: April 08, 2023, 11:09:24 PM »
Started up the evap cooler today. Tough getting up on the roof with the knees as they are. But it went off without a hitch - and no wasp nests inside! Temps are being forecast in the mid 90's by next week so it was time.
I installed the cooler in 2002, so 21 years later and it hasn't rusted out yet. On it's second motor, second pump, and third pad. But still has the original blower bearings! Unheard of in HVAC circles. Guess the Supco 88 stuff actually works.

Offline muddy

« Reply #2744 on: April 09, 2023, 09:29:22 PM »
Sunday at Wheels at Wanaka waiting for the modifieds to start at the tractor pull.

Modified

Midnitemac's mate, the Gooserooter's V8 504 Cummins powered Fordson Major

Thats the kind of farmboy engineered stuff that used to be great back on the day around here. Glad to see someone is still making it go on a budget level!