VEHICLES > TRACTORS/MOWERS/HEAVY EQUIPMENT

Farmall 706 too Big?

(1/3) > >>

RustFarmer:
Don't want to discuss the price on here, just want to figure out if this is the right tractor for me.  I will check the TA and clutch if I decide to pursue it.

I have a chance to buy a 706 with a Loader (Bush Hog 2845 QT).  This is the Farmall 706, Same as an IH 706, but the Farmall has a set forward front axle, so 10 inch longer wheelbase.

Factory wide front
German Diesel
Four speed with Hi/Lo/Reverse range, and Torque Amplifier
70 Horsepower
10,000 pound machine
has 3 point with I think a factory upper bracket.

I will use it on a 15 acre wooded and flat property. (sparsely wooded, so size between the trees is not an issue)
Soil is sandy, and soft, my pickup left some ruts a couple weeks ago.

I will use it to:
Move stuff around with the bucket. (Dirt, Snow, Gravel, Pallets, Engine blocks, Axles)
Stand in the bucket to work on high things
Drill post holes
Field mowing
Skidding logs
other stuff I have not thought of yet.

I will not use it for finish mowing around the house, just rough cutting around the woods.

Don't have a need to transport it off the property,  If I ever do, I'll get a bigger trailer.

Has 18-38 ag tires.  Will this leave ruts everywhere?
Should I wait for a Hydrostatic or Shuttle transmission (is that better for loader work)?

Thank you for helping a noob out.

oldnslo:
Not mine here, but wanted to see what one looks like.

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpCTfwXgviQ

RustFarmer:
Thats it.  Starting to think I would be a lot happier with a Hydrostatic transmission.

skfarmer:
A good solid engine in them. Tranny may not be great for a loader. I have a 3020 gas . They are a little smaller but the tranny is set up like a shuttle shift and is on the dash.  Better off with a little more hp than less if this is the only tractor. Any loader will benefit from larger tires  out front.

slip knot:
If your gonna do a lot of loader work then the shuttle is the way to go. My 190AC (100hp) with a FEL is way more nimble than it appears but with a regular trans it can be a bear loading hay all day.

I keep it at the house during the summer and its nice to be able to unload just about anything that will fit in the truck bed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version