Author Topic: American made mini bolt cutters ?  (Read 123982 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

American made mini bolt cutters ?
« on: April 23, 2020, 02:36:51 AM »
Anyone know if there are or were ever any 8"-10" mini bolt cutters made in the USA ?

Looking online I thought I found some from HKP and was willing to pay $68 for them, then I realized they're made in China  :-\ :c002:
How in the hell can HK Porter charge $20 more for a Chinese tool than a German made pair of 8" Knipex ?

Yes I could just buy a pair of knipex and be perfectly happy,  but I simply don't want to jump on the bandwagon if I can help it.

If theres anything currently made or anything that used to be made I can track down use then I'd rather go that route.
Always lookin' to learn

Online highland512

Re: American made mini bolt cutters ?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 08:00:42 AM »
Just get the Knipex and enjoy.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 09:27:53 AM »
i can't think of any. maybe hk porter at one time. i understand wants and wanting to have a us made version but it is a little over the top to want something that has never really been known as "a high quality american made product"

i would get the knipex if you need them but that brings me to my next question. why do you need them? i have never had a pair and the few times i have needed a bolt cutter my larger no name imports that have been around here for 30 or so years have done the job.

when i want to cut off small fasteners  a bolt cutter would rarely be the proper tool. a bolt cutter destroys the bolt and threads. many wire strippers have a cutting function for sheering smaller fasteners and when you back the screw out it  cleans up threads allowing a usable fastener.  wire stripper with screw cutting function, a hack saw or 4 1/2 grinder with cutoff wheel all seem like better options. an end cutting nipper even seems like a better choice as the can be very useful for pulling small nails and removing cotter pins.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline GNAP

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 10:38:56 AM »
HnS,

I thought a cordless grinder with a slicing wheel, was the new “bolt cutter”??........ :93:
jack

Online highland512

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 01:23:31 PM »
I bought a set when a sears was clearing out thinking I would never use them. They have actually been very handy, nothing cuts #9 wire better. Also have been handy messing with fence, light cable, and waking through old wiring.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 03:05:02 PM »
I bought 2 pair of the HF small bolt cutters when we had to tear down a good amount of chain-link fence to build the shop. They are still good as new even after cutting all the hold down wires and I use them occasionally.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 05:08:28 PM »
Just get the Knipex and enjoy.

What he said.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 06:59:48 PM »
I want them for cutting thicker wire so I dont have to grab the hacksaw,  angle grinder, or a larger pair of bolt cutters. I'm talking wire the size of say a 16d nail at most.
My #337's can get the job done if I rotate and make two cuts, but I'd like to be able to do it in one.
My #357 end cutters are great but not right for everything.

Hell an extra large pair of dykes might actually work fine, but I'm not sure how large Channellock or Wilde makes them.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 07:02:48 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn