VEHICLES > PROJECT CARS/TRUCKS

Need advice on interference fit 9" axle

(1/3) > >>

pkerot:
I have installed rear axle shaft bearings on Ford 9" axles before but this time the lock ring doesnt want to go on.  I can only find Made in China bearings and I think the lock ring is too small. The axle shaft measures 1.378 and the lock ring I.D.  measures 1.368. My (admittedly bad) memory is telling me an interference fit should only be .003" (or is it .004"?) smaller than the shaft.  I looked around the internet and it looks like heating the lock ring will only make it grow .001" so that doesnt sound like it will help.
What do you think?

jabberwoki:
Do you have a part number for the bearings?

gtermini:
When I machine press fits, my general rule of thumb is 5 tenths to 1 thou squeeze per 1.0 inch of diameter depending on my mood and the part and the phase of the moon. In you case, with a thin, hard lock ring, I'd want no more than 2 thou squeeze. Just over a thou would be best to not worry about cracking the ring.

Those two numbers you put up are miles away from each other in the press fit world. The shaft diameter you put up is most likely 35mm rather than 1-3/8 oversize. A majority of bearings out there are metric regardless of OEM application. The retainer ring should be 34.95mm ID or 1.3765" ID

pkerot:

--- Quote from: jabberwoki on June 21, 2020, 01:43:54 PM ---Do you have a part number for the bearings?

--- End quote ---

B7az-1225  1 3/8 I.D.  2 13/16 O.D. this car is a 1959 Ford Galaxie

jabberwoki:
I`ll do some looking for some USA bearings.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version