Author Topic: What is it with barbers -- rant -- LOL  (Read 4032 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
What is it with barbers -- rant -- LOL
« on: August 23, 2018, 12:17:41 PM »
It must be something that they are taught in barber college, but it just ticks me off every time. You go to the barber and they put a collar and cape across your shoulders and neck to keep hair clippings from blowing down your neck area and into your shirt and back. Yet as soon as they are done cutting they loosen the cape and collar to shave your lower neck area and in the process they shave downward and all that shaved hair makes its way down your T-shirt and makes you itch all day long. To make matters worse they often use a blow drier to blow off loose hair, yet in do doing they blow the shaved hair way down your shirt.  :-\

Every barber I've ever frequented has done it this wrong way and it took me close to a half a year to make my barber realize this fact. He knew to shave from the bottom up and flick the hair to the side rather than have everything fall down by back. Well my barber retired last month and although I told the new guy about my problem he still did it instinctively the "old" way. I literally had to talk the guy through a process that should be pretty obvious to most people. Barbers get hair cuts and you'd think they catch on to the fact that the cape and collar idea is good, but the neck shaving process totally screws with the customer's comfort -- no one likes prickly hair clipping down their back.

Stupid rant i know, but after decades of having to put up with that annoyance I finally had a barber convinced to do it in a way that was comfortable. Now that he's retired the new guy will take a few months to get on board --- wish me luck  :)) :))

« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 12:19:22 PM by goodfellow »

Offline highland512

Re: What is it with barbers -- rant -- LOL
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 01:04:14 PM »
As much as I have moved in the past 10 years I too found it extremely irritating every time I went to a new place to get my hair cut (mostly done with the buzzers) how much hair they left long! I mean how hard is it to go over what little hair I have left at least one more time to cut the straglers.

I finally got fed up with them and trained my wife to cut my hair. Now I can drink what ever I want, have dirty thoughts about the girl cutting my hair and not feel guilty O:-), and get in the shower once she is done and wash the clippings off. 

Online john k

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 01:40:48 PM »
My old barber had a little vacuum, built right into his station.   He would go over  most of the head, and the collar before he would loosen the collar.  The new one uses a blow gun like you have said.  Find a ring of clipping stuck to my T shirt collar when I get home, yuck. 

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 03:22:30 PM »
I don't have enough hair to worry about anymore, so about 10 years ago my wife of 61 years started cutting it and does a good job.  Her dad was a barber all his life so she knew something about cutting hair. ;)

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 08:27:47 PM »
I don't have enough hair to worry about anymore, so about 10 years ago my wife of 61 years started cutting it and does a good job.  Her dad was a barber all his life so she knew something about cutting hair. ;)

And it took 51 years for you to get your wife to cut your hair?!   :))
boop/bop/beep

Offline Rusty

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 09:15:52 PM »
Dang fast work there. O:-)
"Those wars are unjust which are undertaken without provocation.
 For only a war waged for revenge or defense can be just"

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline slip knot

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 10:08:53 PM »
haven't been to a barber in 20 yrs. When the wife and I got together she bitched about the haircut I had gotten. I told her if she could do better , prove it. it took a few months to get an OK cut but the price was right. ;)

Offline walrus

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 06:41:19 PM »
haven't been to a barber in 20 yrs. When the wife and I got together she bitched about the haircut I had gotten. I told her if she could do better , prove it. it took a few months to get an OK cut but the price was right. ;)
My wife cuts my hair also. 3/4 inch spacer on Wahl electric  clipper, easy . My hair is so curly it doesn't much matter

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 06:53:27 PM »
I guess I'm just a slow learner. :))

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 10:37:48 AM »
I do it my self and jump in the shower afterwards. 

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2018, 11:19:20 AM »
I was going to Supercuts with the wife, simply because we got out hair cut the same frequency and the shop we went to had amazing stylists. A bit expensive, but if we were diligent we could scrounge up a coupon.  Then they had some really good people leave, and I went a huntin".
Found a mom and pop place just a few minutes from the house, one man and one woman barber, cheaper than Supercuts and fantastic service. Very rarely do I have to wait long, and they're politically neutral, so the conversation is decent. Only problem is the guy is going to retire "soon" so, I'll be back on the trail.