Author Topic: More hack welding, engine transplant  (Read 2152 times)

Offline strik9

• X
More hack welding, engine transplant
« on: August 29, 2020, 07:52:41 PM »
A pump bracket for the steering pump of a asphalt roller had to be invented.  On the old DD 4-53 it was on the cam of the engine.
On this Perkins a bit of creativity to get it to turn the right direction.  That pulley was made for us by a machinist.  Its a T profile on the back of the bracket and quite stiff.

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
Re: More hack welding, engine transplant
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 11:02:45 PM »
Looks swell from my end!

Any trouble getting parts for perkins down there? They are a bastard child these days and nobody wants to deal with them.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 08:59:09 AM »
The non computer perkins are very much in demand to repower DD and Deutz equipped stuff.  Madisa in Monterrey can get everything, every gen of Perky you need.   

Detroit Deadsel stuff costs triple in parts here and its weeks in the shipping.  Deutz comes from European sources, VAT, a two month delay and a horrendous exchange rate  make it cheaper to buy a new machine.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 01:12:09 PM »
Shoot, looks fine to me.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 01:46:43 PM »
It must be good, the guys we did the supports adaptation for would have been back for any problems.   They are doing the install on site. My boss did the front supports to the original DD and he made clean straight lines.
He tells me to do the pump and I make these curvy round corner brackets as if from a different machine.  He did the vertical welds on that, mine look little like welds.