Author Topic: Toyota Highlander rear brakes -- rust jacking  (Read 4846 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Toyota Highlander rear brakes -- rust jacking
« on: September 15, 2020, 10:09:01 AM »
The '05 Highlander needed new rear brakes and rotors because the pads had become stuck in the calipers. The cause was severe rust jacking under the stainless steel shims; which caused the shims to lift off their caliper bracket bosses, and the pads to get locked in place. They eventually ground and scored the rotors pretty bad. Time for new rotors, hardware, and pads.

This brings to mind the age old question of lubrication. Do you lube the caliper bracket shim bosses, or do you lube the shims (or both) when replacing pads? When using SS brake shims I was taught to lube the bosses only and keep to the shim dry. Adding lube to the shim will only make it gum up with brake dust more easily. Others folks insist on lubing the shim so that the pad can move more easily.

Looking at the old SS shim, not only did the rust jack the shim, but also started rusting the stainless steel. I would imagine in the salt-belt this would be an even more severe problem.

Bottom line -- lube the bosses to keep rust from ruining your rotors and pads.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 10:56:37 AM by goodfellow »

Offline muddy

Re: Toyota Highlander rear brakes -- rust jacking
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 06:58:57 PM »
My style truck (3rd gen dodge ram) are known for sticking calipers if sat around for awhile. Wore through a set of pads and rotor last year because I let it slip by. Now I drive it about every other weekend to make sure the don't rust up.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 08:05:17 PM »
That must suck to have to deal with rust caused problems.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 09:56:04 AM »

I live in VA and salt is a minor problem here; yet it did some pretty good damage to this caliper bracket. I can only imagine what it's like in northern states like PA, OH, NY for example. They use vast amounts of salt in the winter, and it rusts everything on contact. I lived in WV for some years and the undercarriage of my truck was toast in just four years.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 05:02:57 PM »

I live in VA and salt is a minor problem here; yet it did some pretty good damage to this caliper bracket. I can only imagine what it's like in northern states like PA, OH, NY for example. They use vast amounts of salt in the winter, and it rusts everything on contact. I lived in WV for some years and the undercarriage of my truck was toast in just four years.
[/quote]

Went to Rochester NY, Eastman Kodak for training. Those folks have what they lovingly call winter cars.

No words to describe, rust to the door handles, rocker panels nonexistent  LOL.
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline muddy

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 06:41:29 PM »
NY is a notorious salt state. OH is another, and since they don't have state inspection I've see. Truck beds held on/together with ratchet straps going down the highway with the bedsides flapping in the wind.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 07:30:50 AM »

I live in VA as well, just a bit further south and near the coast.  When working at the Chevy shop we could instantly tell after lifting a vehicle if it had been in the snow belt, especially New England.  There would be rust and corrosion everywhere and especially with the Silverados where brake lines wold rust out, usually where they go around the cab area to the frame rail and ABS pump.  What a PITA to replace, even with the pre-formed line kits.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline ken w.

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2020, 05:27:40 PM »
Here in NY this problem is very common.  Every brake job gets lube on the bracket and the shims. Generly , one or both caliper slider pins need to be heated red to get them out of the caliper bracket. After the vechicle is 5 years or older I replace calipers and brackets.

Offline vssjim

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2021, 05:27:33 PM »
I work here in Tysons area and I have found that Permatex brake grease( purple stuff) on both sides of shim and moly paste on back of pads and when they are worn out again the pads still slide in bracket and the caliper where moly is is still good condition. Sil-glyde in slides with rubber boots. Many jobs done this way with long term customers and they get full life out of brakes.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2021, 02:19:28 PM »
I work here in Tysons area and I have found that Permatex brake grease( purple stuff) on both sides of shim and moly paste on back of pads and when they are worn out again the pads still slide in bracket and the caliper where moly is is still good condition. Sil-glyde in slides with rubber boots. Many jobs done this way with long term customers and they get full life out of brakes.
The way it should be done although many of the newer shims state they do not need anything in addition to the coating applied.  The use of a silicon-based lubricant on the pins is a step often skipped.
Nick
Yorktown, VA