Author Topic: Weld project - Linesman pliers  (Read 2246 times)

Offline oldnslo

Weld project - Linesman pliers
« on: January 26, 2021, 09:26:21 PM »
I've got a set of nice 8" Diamalloy linemans pliers that the former owner bit into something that took a nick out of the cutting edge. Easy to work around it. It's not large, but in a way it bugs me.

Has anyone had luck with a kiss of MIG or TIG to repair a small defect in the cutting portion? Am I risking the heat treating of that edge with a weld?

Pic shown is just for reference.

Offline DeadNutz

Re: Weld project - Linesman pliers
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 09:50:34 PM »
I would be worried about losing the cutting edge on each side of the bead by it just disappearing by melting a bit.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 09:57:05 PM »
It would just be a cosmetic fix, and the welded spot (along with its HAZ) would lose some of its hardened properties. In fact you will likely anneal a large part of the HAZ. Not worth it in my opinion, unless you plan on hardening and tempering the jaws in their entirety after the fact.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 09:29:27 PM »
I'm in alignment with the above thoughts. Thx. It works as it should now, just need to skip that spot with the hole. It can work as a wire stripper tho.....ha!

Offline Magpie

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2021, 12:19:18 PM »
I get hung up on the same thing with Linesman pliers, diag cutter, and the like.  Glad to know I'm not the only one. I was curious about a mig/ tig repair as well.  Some day I hope to test the idea- but I need to do some learning and practice. Cheers! Let us know if you try any repairs!