Author Topic: 17 Tig Torch Stubby Gas Lens  (Read 2806 times)

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
17 Tig Torch Stubby Gas Lens
« on: January 26, 2021, 11:05:39 PM »
If you run an air cooled rig, this is the way to go. Standard gas cups can go the way of the Dodo for all I care. Gas lenses offer much better coverage and reduced gas usage. A 17 lens is quite a monstrosity. For a few dollars, you can swap the diffuser, collet, and insulator. Then a standard 9/20 series gas lens will screw on. CK is my choice for consumables, with weldcraft/Miller a close 2nd. The mega cups are mostly yootoob clickbait. In reality, a 7 lens will do 90% of jobs. A few smaller and a few big CK #10's are handy as well.

TOP: 17 reg gas lens
MID: 17 '4' series "stubby"
BOT: 9 gas lens

https://www.ckworldwide.com/4-series-stubby.html

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: 17 Tig Torch Stubby Gas Lens
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 02:35:10 PM »
I definitely concur about the gas lenses, but since my aging eyes are starting to fade a bit, I also added the clear Pyrex cups to my WP-20 water cooled torch. What an improvement -- definitely worth the few dollars extra.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 04:44:22 PM »
 Pyrex cups ........... the bomb  :08:
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 10:48:54 AM »
x2 on the pyrex cups!

I like the gas lens too, I also bought some xl extended length cups to get down into areas and those fupa/bbw style are cool too to get that tungsten extended out there.

I ain't anywhere near proficient but man, I'm having a real good time. And, stop to sharpen again as I dipped it, yet again. hahaha.
Rich

Offline gtermini

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 12:33:45 PM »
The pyrex cups are nice, but I break far too many to stomach the cost. A weldcraft gas lens is $1.50 vs $10+ when the torch hits the floor.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2021, 04:23:26 PM »
Yeah have the gas lens in there, not all the time tho. With the pyrex I dip the filler much requiring fewer walks of shame.

gtermini ................. butter fingres   :)

Over the years, I've found tig to be more forgiving than first thought ......... However not when comes to the surface prep, not much wiggle room there.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 04:27:12 PM by pep »
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline gtermini

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2021, 12:11:41 PM »
I still dip more than I'd like. I keep a block of 2x4 with about 50 holes drilled in it full of tungstens. I cut new ones into 3rds and sharpen both ends. There's day I can't make it to noon without making a trip to the grinder.  :-[