Author Topic: Pakistani basic welding machine build -- pretty amazing!  (Read 3598 times)

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Pakistani basic welding machine build -- pretty amazing!
« on: March 07, 2021, 08:42:31 PM »
Watch them wind the transformer and fabricate the taps. Street vendor engineering at its finest.

Same Company--

« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 08:58:35 PM by goodfellow »

Offline GNAP

Re: Pakistani basic welding machine build -- pretty amazing!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 10:18:49 AM »
One of my customers, make the speciality insulating paper, used in all kinds of transformers, while he might marvel at the ingenuity, he would take serious exception to the use of plain cardboard.
jack

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 10:42:13 AM »
They are skilled craftsmen with limited tools and they make a product in demand or they wouldn't be doing it. But you don't want to let the magic smoke out of that welder.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 11:12:30 AM »
One of my customers, make the speciality insulating paper, used in all kinds of transformers, while he might marvel at the ingenuity, he would take serious exception to the use of plain cardboard.

LOL -- Yeah I saw that he took what looked like some leftover thick glossy poster paper to insulate the windings. Sketchy to be sure, but given the country, the purpose, and the market, these guys are pretty damn resourceful. They have to figure out wire gauge, winding turns, and power factor to produce the desired output at the taps for a given size machine. Pretty cool to see it done with very basic and mostly homemade tools.

Found a vid on how these Pakistani craftsmen calculate the windings --

« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 11:22:33 AM by goodfellow »

Offline walrus

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2021, 01:32:22 PM »

LOL -- Yeah I saw that he took what looked like some leftover thick glossy poster paper to insulate the windings. Sketchy to be sure, but given the country, the purpose, and the market, these guys are pretty damn resourceful. They have to figure out wire gauge, winding turns, and power factor to produce the desired output at the taps for a given size machine. Pretty cool to see it done with very basic and mostly homemade tools.

Found a vid on how these Pakistani craftsmen calculate the windings --

1920s all over again. Amazing. I've been watching them do starters, thats quite a procedure also.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2021, 08:16:34 PM »
The starter reman was cool. Theres one on battery reman too. Kinda scary how they dispose of some of that spent stuff.  Just toss it out in the roadway. :-\

Offline muddy

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2021, 08:42:30 PM »
I really enjoy their videos. Thanks for sharing Ray!

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2021, 07:57:24 AM »
i have to admire the ability and skill involved.

i  can't see how with amazons and alibabas of the world that  even in india, a better, safer welder with more features can't be had for a similar or even better price.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2021, 10:18:57 AM »
I have to wonder about those taps for amps. It looks like they run from 50 to 600 so is that amps or what? I wonder what the warranty is?

Offline walrus

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2021, 06:12:21 PM »
The starter reman was cool. Theres one on battery reman too. Kinda scary how they dispose of some of that spent stuff.  Just toss it out in the roadway. :-\
Used to be a scrap yard about 25 miles from me who had this room where workers would smash batteries for the lead. Superfund site now  :o or was anyway. Can't imagine those guys lived to long