Author Topic: Old memories  (Read 2097 times)

Offline coolmercury

Old memories
« on: April 27, 2021, 02:41:51 PM »
I made this head of Lincoln in 1948 in freshman metal shop.  It is made of poured lead and then plated.  As I remember, I got an "A" for it.  Few high schools have such classes any more.  Recently found it in an old cabinet I haven't looked into in years.

Offline DeadNutz

Re: Old memories
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 09:12:23 PM »
That is a very nice piece of work. If schools even have metal shop classes anymore they probably wouldn't let the students cast lead. My first woodshop class was in 8th grade. In high school I couldn't get wood or metal shop classes because they were full by the time the W's got to pick classes. I did get auto shop though.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 09:39:25 PM »
Nice, the thought of having high school kids casting lead today is bizzare. First just melting lead would be forbidden, then letting the kids monkey around with molten metal. :-\  Then we're gonna electroplate it :-\ 

I took several years of woodshop in middle school and freshman year. Welding my sophmore year but it wasn't too hard for me. I had been working with the rig welder down the road as a helper for years. Jr and Sr years were auto shop and work release.  Should of spent more time with the STEM curriculum and not with the easy classes. I work with STEM issues everyday, work on a car maybe once  week :lol_hitting:

Offline Rural53

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 10:11:39 PM »
We cast aluminum at high school in the early 80's. One of my school mates is now the Finance Manager at the High School we went to. She showed me around a couple of years ago. The tech drawing classes, metal work shop and wood work shop have been combined into an industrial design space. Thinking about it I think the forge and casting area had disappeared.