Author Topic: New Welder  (Read 5122 times)

Offline GNAP

New Welder
« on: May 10, 2021, 07:11:06 PM »
My latest project that is not work related. I bought a new Lincoln Ranger 260 MPX, gas drive welder with a 10,000 watt generator. That lead to a Harbor Freight trailer (#62665), which lead to me doing some work with the “W” substance, which then lead to a new trailer hitch on the van. It was an expensive week.

On Friday, Norm and I pick up the welder, checked 4 Harbor Freights for a trailer, then bought one. Half way through the assembly, I found out the spring shackles were missing, they (HF) at first told me I had to order them from parts, I said I was returning the trailer, it then dawned on them, they had already done the DMV paperwork, which meant the returned trailer was basically junk, they somehow found the shackles.

The trailer decking was a chore, I hate the “W” substance, so I was almost violently sick from the start of the job to the finish. On Sunday, Norm and I mounted the welder on the trailer, installed the trailer hitch on the service van, then made the virgin travel to the gas station to fill the welder’s gas tank, the brought it home, roughly a 3 mile trip, all went well.

Backing up the trailer is going to be a chore, its very short, you can not see in in the van mirrors and the back up camera is a joke. It will be a steep learning curve.

1 - the welder
2 - the welder
3 - the stand
4 - the stand

jack

Offline slip knot

Re: New Welder
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 08:56:16 PM »
Dont top off the fuel tank. that little trailer already looks overloaded.  :lol_hitting:

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 09:12:07 PM »
Nice welder and that short coupled trailer will be tons of fun backing up. You can mount tennis balls on rods and place them on the trailer in the best place to see them in the mirrors to help guide you backing up.

Offline john k

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 10:33:49 PM »
I think it would help to add 3 - 4 feet to the tongue of that trailer.   Never looked at HF for trailers,  thinking something bigger would be better, like a snowmobile/motorcycle trailer?  If you have the storage .   

Offline GNAP

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 07:29:20 AM »
Dont top off the fuel tank. that little trailer already looks overloaded.  :lol_hitting:

Trailer is rated for 1100# and the welder is 450#, so hopefully I’m okay.........
jack

Offline GNAP

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 07:33:32 AM »
I think it would help to add 3 - 4 feet to the tongue of that trailer.   Never looked at HF for trailers,  thinking something bigger would be better, like a snowmobile/motorcycle trailer?  If you have the storage .

I purposely bought the smallest trailer I could that would hold the welder. I knew backing up was going to be an issue. But storage space was a major concern, the leads and all of the other stuff, will be in the service van, what you see is all there is going to be......
jack

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2021, 05:05:17 PM »
You do nice work Jack.  :great:

Offline john k

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2021, 12:28:08 AM »
Seeing your other metal skills, just know you could fabricate a folding or removable tongue, and some flip down legs so it can be stored safely in a short spot.  Plus if it doesnt have a tongue, it couldnt walk away when not tended. Sorry to hear about the (W) phobia.

Offline GNAP

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2021, 05:46:34 PM »

I got the trailer lights wired today and tested. Now all I need is the accessory whip from the service van’s factory trailer package wiring plug to the plug assembly for the hitch.
jack

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2021, 09:41:54 PM »
Nice one Jack..........

How is it mounted to the deck, any shocks on the puppy?

Some thing like this might help, that short tung & van will be a bear, little wiggle room 
  :-\ (none)

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_trailers-towing+trailer-dollies

Maybe attache it to the tung, raise and lower it like a landing gear.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 09:53:08 PM by pep »
1776 ................... what happened!

Online walrus

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2021, 04:26:00 AM »
Thats shorter than an air compressor(for running jack hammers) and they are hard to see. They bounce all over the place on rough roads also.

Offline GNAP

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2021, 02:20:27 PM »
I painted the trailer deck, with some well used 5W-30, giving it a nice light Walnut hue.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 02:24:36 PM by GNAP »
jack

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2021, 04:29:30 PM »
Excellent rig Jack -- you did a great job.

Offline muddy

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2021, 10:52:21 PM »
Great rig!

Sent from the twisted mind of the mudman

Offline slip knot

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2021, 08:58:50 PM »
5W30 stain. Nice, i use it on all my trailer decks. cheap and it works.