Author Topic: Old Video Camera Tubes  (Read 5232 times)

Offline john k

Re: Old Video Camera Tubes
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2021, 02:16:45 PM »
Just read the story about the oldest Kennedy brother.  He was involved in a secret bombing program in WWII, where remote controlled B-17s were crashed into the target.   The Army Air Corps equipped them with tv cameras, the flying was done remotely by a mother ship a mile or more behind them, by someone watching a CRT.  All this in 1944!

Online J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2021, 03:33:49 PM »
That is most interesting. I did not know that but it's pretty cool.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2021, 04:17:33 PM »
Just read the story about the oldest Kennedy brother.  He was involved in a secret bombing program in WWII, where remote controlled B-17s were crashed into the target.   The Army Air Corps equipped them with tv cameras, the flying was done remotely by a mother ship a mile or more behind them, by someone watching a CRT.  All this in 1944!

Joe Jr. was the real deal. Pretty amazing guy, and had he lived he would have definitely been a political star.

Offline john k

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2021, 04:24:21 PM »
The volunteer pilots would take off in these planes literally stuffed with high explosves, then bail out before reaching the English channel.   Joe Kennedys plane malfunctioned,  fireball.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2021, 06:15:30 PM »
The volunteer pilots would take off in these planes literally stuffed with high explosves, then bail out before reaching the English channel.   Joe Kennedys plane malfunctioned,  fireball.

Yes, his B-24 exploded before he could bail out.