TOOLS AND THE SHOP > CARPENTRY HAND TOOLS WE USE

I'm thinking about getting a small portable table saw

(1/3) > >>

hickory n Steel:
I don't have room for a regular full sized table saw nor do I need one quite that much, but I could certainly use at least a small table saw for odd things.

Can anyone recommend me a good one under $300 hopefully ?

It would just be for the small projects , say I wanted to make a plywood box or a picture frame or something.

I can manage with clamp on guides and stuff, but it gets kind of annoying.

hickory n Steel:
I have been looking into the little Ryobi RTSO8,  and based on reviews I think it might be good enough for my needs and something I can use to learn the basics of table saws.
All I really want is something for simple small DIY projects, probably just 1" thick or less and most often less.

skfarmer:
a buddy has one of those el cheapo  table saws. it sounds like it is going to come apart every time you start it and the fence  is only attached on one side. other than the fact that it cuts wood it is a worthless piece of garbage. spend a little more on something with a decent fence and soft start. your sanity will thank me.   your idea of not needing  to cut more than 1 inch is  shortsighted. sooner rather than later you will want to some 2x material and you will bitch about not having the capacity.

hickory n Steel:

--- Quote from: skfarmer on June 10, 2021, 04:55:06 PM ---a buddy has one of those el cheapo  table saws. it sounds like it is going to come apart every time you start it and the fence  is only attached on one side. other than the fact that it cuts wood it is a worthless piece of garbage. spend a little more on something with a decent fence and soft start. your sanity will thank me.   your idea of not needing  to cut more than 1 inch is  shortsighted. sooner rather than later you will want to some 2x material and you will bitch about not having the capacity.

--- End quote ---
In the past 10 years the thickest thing I've needed to cut was 2×4 which I handled fine with my circular saw or miter box and backsaw.

I do know my needs and have a project limit in mind for this tool, but of course I don't not want something that's going to be terrible.

I will keep looking and decide on the best choice.

pep:
 Being a metal worker, don't have many wood projects. This was given to me, has the same look as the Ryobi, but larger.

I've not built furniture, but have cut & laid server square feet of pergo flooring. Built a fair amount  odds and end.

It does a decent job cuts straight & clean, must be trued. High dollar blade does wonders.
Pay attention to material feed speed, listen to the motor, it starts to labor slow down.

Not a fan of Ryobi stuff generally speaking

Anyway just an example

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version