TOOLS AND THE SHOP > CARPENTRY HAND TOOLS WE USE

I'm thinking about getting a small portable table saw

<< < (3/3)

hickory n Steel:

--- Quote from: coolmercury on June 12, 2021, 03:57:06 PM ---Lets talk about table saws!  I have owned table saws for about 60 years, mostly cast iron carpenters saws.  I borrowed the first one to build a house.  Back then the fences were terrible and it was hard to get a perfect cut with that type of saw  The Craftsman saw I now have I bought new about 30 years ago with a quality fence.  This saw still does a fine job and I can built quality projects with it as long as I keep it trued up.  That is a key to any saw, keeping it trued up according to the instructions provided.  If the blade does not run true both horizontally and vertical you will never produce a quality job.  So, you don't have room for a large saw and from what you say, really don't need one.  Some of the smaller saws can do a good job, so check to see if it has provision for truing, a solid slide that can be adjusted and a fence that can be tightened from both ends so it stays solidly in place.  A 10 inch blade would be better than an 8, but may be hard to find in a small saw.  Get one with a stand and with as large a motor as possible and buy a quality blade.  And lastly, be careful when using your saw!!!!!!

--- End quote ---
Good tips.
And absolutely safety is key.
I have no experience with a table saw, but I'm aware of the anti kickback teeth the riving knife and guard included with them being important safety devises as well as the push stick they include for those smaller pieces being cut.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version