Author Topic: Tough Decision  (Read 3168 times)

Offline muddy

Tough Decision
« on: July 05, 2021, 09:02:12 PM »
As you all know I am very found of my daily driver Plymouth Sundance.

I'm the last month or so it has been haunting me with the an electrical issue. It was blowing the old wire style fuse links. I would patch it and think I would have it kicked and it would act up again in a week or so.

Well one day it let me sit at a heavy intersection, it melted a fair share of the main harness. So I did what I had to get it home and didn't help matters. After getting it home and looking into. It was section of the 02 sensor causing issues.

After looking nover the harness it could be patched, but for how long? The unburnt harness is stiff and probably not far along from melting It hurts me to send it to the great car heaven. However at 250,000 miles and needing some work to pass inspection, I think I'm doing the right thing. It feels like putting down a dog.

Anyway here's what I got to replace her. A 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. 77,000 original miles. 3100 V6 was well maintained. Hopefully she treats me as well as the Plymouth did.

3 way betta tank

Sent from the twisted mind of the mudman

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Tough Decision
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 09:27:36 PM »
Best decision you could make Tim, and the replacement Olds is a great car. That 3100 V6 is bulletproof -- being a 1995 you can maintain and fix most problems with relative ease. Good choices all-around. 

Offline ron350

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2021, 12:03:57 AM »
Great looking W-body.
Be gentle with those pull down door handles.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2021, 09:35:59 AM »
Darn, that Olds is way too nice for you, lol

Nice looking car and you made the decision you had too.  Plymouth was near the end anyway

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2021, 10:50:03 AM »
That is a really clean 1995 Olds with very low miles. Good for you as you were able to keep the Plymouth on life support for long enough.

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2021, 02:28:22 PM »
Welcome to the Olds family!

It's a bit new for my tastes but they have a loyal following for sure.  Lots of technical help on the classicoldsmobile.com forum.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2021, 05:51:05 PM »
I`ll bet that Olds is comply inside.
My mate has one about that vintage that was his Grandfathers.
Every time i visit it`s my fav cruzing car.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2021, 10:15:10 AM »
So Tim, is that your Father's Oldsmobile? :)

Somebody had to say it

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2021, 02:33:43 PM »
Looks like a nice replacement.  As Phil said, too nice for you!   :))
boop/bop/beep

Offline muddy

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2021, 08:55:08 PM »
So Tim, is that your Father's Oldsmobile? :)

Somebody had to say it
It would actually be my father in law's Oldsmobile. He's always been an Olds guy. Still has his 69 442.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2021, 10:53:05 PM »
Wife's '02 Buick Century has that same engine. She regularly gets 27 mpg in town with it. Very few problems with it - 150,000 miles so far.

Though it likes to heat destroy plastic engine parts. If you watch that you should get good service.

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2021, 07:18:24 PM »
We had an 88 Sundance a couple of the kids beat into submission. It already had a remanned engine when it came to us. Son took it apart , bought some parts including a rad, fuel tank, pump and sending unit. He had given up on it so I put the new stuff in and the daughter took it and beat on it and blew the head gasket. We replaced that and had to get the special tool to reset the timing stuff. Son took it again and had it going for over a year until like you the think began to have electrical probs. So it went to the cars for kids program. We also had a 2000 Malibu with the 3100. This came to us with the intake gasket leaking so that got replaced and oldest ran it hard until it blew that gasket out again, but it went better part of a yr. So we replaced it again and middle daughter(she is the one who blew the hg on the Sundance) took it and beat on it for a few months until it locked up the emgine. not sure why but I pulled it apart. pealed the rings off and replaced em with new and put it back together . Got it running again with good compression but it had a nasty rod knock, so we bought a used emgine from the wrecking yard and it went to the wife as a beater to drive her 3miles back n forth to work after someone stole the cat off our k2500 in the parking lot there. I even put a new ac compressor and got it blowing cold again. then the trans got to slipping so it got traded along with the k2500 on the new to us daily.

Looks like a real nice unit. Keep an eye on that oil level as when that intake gasket goes the coolant goes into the crank case. This i believe is what wiped out the rod bearing in ours.

Great score I hope it treats you well!

After the blown HG. We cleaned off the lobes, lubed em up and sent her. Went another yrs or more until the electrical got to be more than he wanted to fool with. I bought a six pack of cheap filters and told him to change the oil every month or so to clean whatever fell down in the engine out. Crazy how stuff can run even if it isn't perfect.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 04:42:22 PM by TexasT »
Rich

Offline muddy

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2021, 08:53:31 PM »
So far she's treating me right. Drives and handles different but nothing bad. Gets  25 mpg going back and forth to work.