Author Topic: Heller rock pick  (Read 2701 times)

Offline Davethorik

Heller rock pick
« on: August 22, 2021, 11:01:42 AM »
So here's an oddball I picked up over the weekend.
I like the look, the balance is actually not bad, plus it appears this was only lightly used (and not at all on the square face, only the pick end). Plus i knew the brand to be quality, I have a Heller ball pein as well.

I would guess the black paint is original so this sat somewhere for a long time. Now the interesting part, i checked archive .org they had a bunch of Heller catalogs and I didn't see this model. I searched Google, found similar but slightly different rock picks branded Tru Temper and Bluegrass, but no Heller. Asked over at the other place, crickets. Asked in vintage tool and hammer groups on FB, nothing. I guess it is a mystery. Any hammer gurus here?

4" Williams adjustable in the pics. The head is just under 8" long, handle is 11".

Offline oldnslo

Re: Heller rock pick
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 11:08:05 AM »
Typical rock hammer, used by rock hounds the world over. As you may know already, they made farrier and blacksmith tools as well. What you have here, is a very nice example.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2021, 11:19:34 AM »
Yeah that's a really nice example, looks hardly used.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2021, 03:25:30 PM »
Ask in the axe hatchet and tomahawk subforum on bladeforums, you shouldn't have much trouble getting answers there.

We discuss pretty much all kinds of wood handled hand tools there, from axes and hatches to shovels hammers, perfect handle screwdrivers, and hand saws.
A couple members come to mind who can always I'd stamps that nobody else can and seem to have a large backlog of catalog scans, if they don't have an answer nobody will.

If only we had such a subforum here and could get those fine folks to join, I know many don't venture into any other areas of bladeforums and this place would be a better fit for them.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 03:36:00 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline slip knot

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2021, 08:52:13 PM »
That little Willies adjustable really classes up that pointy hammer. :hee20hee20hee:

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2021, 01:42:32 PM »
It would take you 600 years to tunnel through the wall with that. 
boop/bop/beep

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2021, 07:09:04 PM »
It would take you 600 years to tunnel through the wall with that.
Sure didn't take Andy that long.
Always lookin' to learn