TOOLS AND THE SHOP > CARPENTRY HAND TOOLS WE USE

Good quality vintage saw brands

(1/3) > >>

jabberwoki:
So i want to pick up a couple of vintage hand saws and was wondering what are some great brands to look for?

Midnitemack:
Disston is the first name that came to mind for me ….. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

geneg:
Atkins or Disston 

good site to read: http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/, lots of info

slip knot:
Keen Kutter is one that comes to mind. Belknap was a house brand for one of the hardware stores that was a decent saw IIRC.

hickory n Steel:

--- Quote from: slip knot on August 23, 2021, 08:56:43 PM ---Keen Kutter is one that comes to mind. Belknap was a house brand for one of the hardware stores that was a decent saw IIRC.

--- End quote ---
Yes bluegrass for belknap hdw, I've seen a lot of nice tools contracted by belknap.
Their hammers were beautiful.

Some good ones were also made for Craftsman, you just gotta get an idea of how the handles looked on older better hand saws so you aren't getting a lesser more modern saw.

Disston is excellent, as is Atkins, and vintage Sandvik saws have good steel too.
The sandviks are more modern and it shows in the handle but the steel is good.

The Corsair line from great neck was once a pretty decent saw as well.

One thing to keep in mind is that as long as the steel is good a handsaw can always be tuned, you can refine the handle shape and of course you'll need to set and file the teeth so you can always give it the kind of cut you want.
If you're not taking it to a professional Sawyer of course.

It's a skill I'm not proficient at, but I have sharpened a saw or two with decent results.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version