TOOLS AND THE SHOP > CARPENTRY HAND TOOLS WE USE

Good quality vintage saw brands

<< < (2/3) > >>

jabberwoki:
Ok ta, Ill keep and eye out at estate sales.

bonneyman:
+3 on Disston.

But don't ignore vintage Craftsman.
Have a pair of old Craftsman saws from my FIL and they are nice. Teeth seem to hold an edge for a long time. Good quality steel?

hickory n Steel:
I just scored these 2 disston saws at Goodwill today.

The top one is a no.7 dating from 1896-1918, a beautiful old saw that still feels pretty sharp and is surprisingly straight as an arrow.

The bottom is a post 1955 ( '55-'90 ) Disstin D8, I believe to be on the earlier end of that date range.
I have another D8 with a less fancy handle, and a much more recent looking D8 from my grandfather with an even less fancy handle.
I'm guessing my 3 D8's are '55-60, 60's, and 70's with this one being the earliest of them.

Here's the no7 cleaned up, at least what I could show well with the daylight fading.

hickory n Steel:
I would definitely describe this old Disston as a " good quality vintage saw ".

john k:
The Disston saws,and most other brands have an etch on the side shown facing up.   This is the provenance of the tool, and abrasive cleaning, even heavy wire brushing can ruin it.   Seen too many messed up.  The quick way to discover a saws age is the handle.  The loop at the bottom,  it became thicker, bulkier after wwii.  The older the saw, the thinner this bottom loop is.  Which unfortunately made it prone to breakage.   From my reading, the steel used after wwii was often remelt.   No essentially bad but often not of the quality of what was used pre-war.   Discovering all this made hand saws all the more interesting.  To the point it became hard to pass one up.   Just dont look in my shop.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version