General Category > POLITICS (IF YOU DO NOT LIKE POLITICS, THEN DON'T GO IN HERE!

Looking like labor is trying to get some back after giving so much up ....

<< < (2/3) > >>

slip knot:

--- Quote from: Barks on October 15, 2021, 08:09:59 AM ---slip knot--Isn't that backwards thinking.  Going from the top of the range to the bottom of the new range means that there is a lot of increased opportunity for pay raises in the current classification.  Why would this move someone to retire?

--- End quote ---

The newbys just got a jump up to what the old guys are making. Seniority dont me shit..

TexasT:
I'm no guru or long term union guy as I've just reached my 6yr aniversary at this union shop. Ours is teamsters and there are many other unions (ibew, uaw, pipefitters, welding and such) and each has their own negotiations and even different parts of the country is different and has different contracts they work under.
Our contract is usually five yrs and has included cola rasies and the last one also had a clause that included a bonus for the worker when a bonus is given to management so that cut down that type of compensation to the mgmt without the labor getting nothing.
We are one of the lowest paid drivers in our market but the benefits and pension are above and beyond what any other co in our market offers. During the next negotiation I'm hoping we can get some of the money that was given up yes ago but time will tell.
There was a time when you couldn't have paid me to join a union but over the last decade or two the corporations have run roughshod over labor. The economy hasn't been the best and I see how that is but the economy has been very good and the stock markets are going wild and setting records. This makes me think labor needs to get back what has been given up.

fatfillup:
I like the idea of bonuses to all if any are paid.

As to unions in general, Conductor made a great argument for unions as he was shop steward for the railroad yard he worked at and has swayed me from anti union to mid ground.

walrus:

--- Quote from: fatfillup on October 16, 2021, 02:10:03 AM ---I like the idea of bonuses to all if any are paid.

As to unions in general, Conductor made a great argument for unions as he was shop steward for the railroad yard he worked at and has swayed me from anti union to mid ground.

--- End quote ---
Railroad unions used to be pretty strong, not so sure anymore as Maine has little to no railroad around me now. Paper mills are mostly gone compared to my youth when they were everywhere in this state.

I was in union once, not a strong one , never had a contract negotiation while I was there so no strike. Place has been bought and shut down so no more union. Wife is in a union, pretty useless, not strong at all. Boy is in a union, very strong one, pilots have quite the contract.

My biggest complaint when I was in union was seniority, which protected the people even if they couldn't do the job.

Around here most of the union trucking companies are gone

I can why some workers for Amazon want a union.

Lookin4_67GalaxieConv:

--- Quote from: fatfillup on October 16, 2021, 02:10:03 AM ---I like the idea of bonuses to all if any are paid.

--- End quote ---

Hiball on GJ made some good arguments for the need for unions in the railroad industry.  Much of it seems to depend on the industry.

Like Walrus said, protecting people with seniority that are useless is a bad use of a union.

Also a lot of politics within unions and some use it as a gravy train.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version