VEHICLES > PROJECT CARS/TRUCKS

I made a purchase and...

<< < (6/6)

TexasT:

Got the block onto the stand and the main caps torqued down with some bearings in there.

Torque wrench the son bought me a few Christmases' back. I've been using the old beam type but he thinks it is junk.

Got the micrometer out and did the standard in there, "just to make sure". and measured up the main journals on the crank.

Got the chinse one out too.

The starret one came in this cool wood box

I bought this cool dial bore gauge. It is a fowler, though it is a chinesium unit. Could have doubled or tripled the entry price and got the Mitutoyo but I just could see it .
I've been looking at youtube vids and it doesn't look that hard to do the measuring. We are certainly going to find out.
I did get some cam bearings, some rod and main bearings and a nifty set of hyper eutectic pistons. Would have liked some forged pistons but as my dad used to say, wish in one hand and crap in the other and see which one fills up first. Gotta round up some rods. I know I have several sets but so far have only located a set of five and a bluetooth sixth rod probably won't work out.

TexasT:

So, with the bare frame, doing the floor jack on the lower wasn't going to work. I got my two spring compressors out but saw one of these single type units on the ebay. For $22 shipped I invested in the chinesium. As with any, I was scared to give it the full crush but it worked out so I was able to get the two front springs in.

I got the castle nuts for the ball joint and tie rod end so those worked out. Gotta see about some cotter pins. small steps are better than none.

Hope everyone is well.

john k:
Progress is always good.  You got such a mix of parts I can barely keep it straight.  Everything I have is froze down, or covered up for the winter.  Did walk out back and looked over the 55 Pontiac parts car I bought last month.  Monday was real nice, but got snow again last night.  Was told by an instructor in tech school years back, the beam type torque wrench would hold its accuracy longer than the snap type. 

TexasT:
I tend to be doing several things at a time and am easily side tracked. I think that is the main reason my son won't come help me any more. He gets frustrated.
I like wood work type stuff and the welding/cutting is also pretty fun. Waiting for paint or other finish to dry , or a glue up to dry I get off on other things. I have a four wheel gravely tractor and my 70 GS455 I want to do some things to and get them useable. And of course the og 87 Regal that got hit. Lots of plans. And the wife has her own list of things she wants too.

john k:
Know what you mean.  Have 1 JD tractor ready to run come spring, already painted.  A IHC 460 tractor running and paint to finish.  2 more big JD farm tractor to get back to.  4 JD riding mowers to finish.  1931 FordAA truck,runs but needs lots.  1941 Studebaker Commander to finish.  1949 Studebaker pickup to put an engine in.  2- 1956 Pontiac sedans to get running.  1958 Chevy Apache 1/2t.  Still working over the 1906 house, one room at a time.  Some more stuff, got to keep busy when retired.  Going to a big farm machinery sale tomorrow.  If it doesnt snow too much.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version