Author Topic: Everything 1/4dr  (Read 15834 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Everything 1/4dr
« on: December 02, 2021, 01:25:47 AM »
I tend to use 1/4dr more than anything, plus the ratchets are small and cool and generally affordable to acquire so I have a lot of interest in 1/4dr.

I'll start this off with something different I just came across,  I think it's a UK brand though so availability here may be limited.

The brand is Sabrecut.

Theres the MRSCO4

And the MRSCO5

A pretty cool little 1/4 ratchet, square or hex drive, with what appears to be a 1/4 flex head or " breaker bar " on the other end.

I can't find any information that says but you'd think it flexes.
The only concern is those hex bosses protruding through the body of the tool that could mean it fixed, maybe they had to affix a tool steel anvil in place because the body of the ratchet is stainless steel ?

It would be pretty cool if it did flex.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: Everything 1/4dr
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 11:38:15 AM »
The WRIGHT 2426 is probably my favorite 1/4 ratchet,  I just love the contour grip in general really.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 11:42:31 AM »
How does Cornwells 1/4 ratchet feel in hand ?
Is the selector style on their classic design awkward at all as opposed to the lever selector found on most pearhead and teardrop ratchets?
I imagine it's just like operating a roundhead which I'm fine with, but I could  be completely
wrong because I've never handled one.

I've been interested for awhile and I just bought a gently used TR301 off Ebay to try out.
The certainly look like a nice tool, though admittedly I'd probably rather have the 72 tooth with the more typical lever selector.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2021, 01:21:21 PM »
Nice ergo ratchets! I have a MATCO 1/4"er in that style and it's very nice.    :great:

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2021, 01:41:10 PM »
Nice ergo ratchets! I have a MATCO 1/4"er in that style and it's very nice.    :great:
A rebranded WRIGHT if I'm not mistaken.

It's kind of funny, I liked that 1 $35 ratchet so much that I spent about $400 to build a set around it.
From the flex head ratchet,  flex handle, spinner handle, extensions sockets standard and deep sae and metric, that's about the first time one tool has inspired me to really go all out and build a set around it.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 01:45:35 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2021, 04:39:16 PM »

It's kind of funny, I liked that 1 $35 ratchet so much that I spent about $400 to build a set around it.
From the flex head ratchet,  flex handle, spinner handle, extensions sockets standard and deep sae and metric, that's about the first time one tool has inspired me to really go all out and build a set around it.

A great design to build a set around.

I've been looking at ebay for the 3/8" versions. Prices are insane! Especially for a discontinued style with no rebuild kits available. Unless the Wright kits fit it.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2021, 06:23:04 PM »

I've been looking at ebay for the 3/8" versions. Prices are insane! Especially for a discontinued style with no rebuild kits available. Unless the Wright kits fit it.
I don't see why it wouldn't unless they did something special for the mechanism on the Matco's..
What's the tooth count on your Matco?
I just use them so I can't remember,  but I think mine are 42 tooth.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2021, 07:23:26 PM »

I don't see why it wouldn't unless they did something special for the mechanism on the Matco's..
What's the tooth count on your Matco?
I just use them so I can't remember,  but I think mine are 42 tooth.

It's packed away, so I don't have immediate access to it. But it seems like a fine tooth mechansim.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2021, 07:33:37 PM »
I carry this one at work in the accessory loop on the side of my leatherman sheath.

I carry it just like that with a #2 in one end and 1/4 standard in the other, but it comes in this little plastic case.

GM power torque brand, $14 at O'rileys , made by HI-FIVE  in Taiwan.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2021, 07:49:54 PM »
Heres the big brother to the little one, I added the rubber tubing to it.

VIM RBF400K, again HI-FIVE in Taiwan.

It's a great tool and at about $40 from VIM it's the easiest to get most affordable option here in the US, but it wouldn't be my first choice of the various versions locking flex heads HI-FIVE  makes.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2021, 07:54:04 PM »
These WRIGHTS have pretty fine teeth and relatively low backdrag, they definitely feel like they have a much higher tooth count than 45 ( I checked )

I just looked it up and unless the MATCO model number ends in ARF, a current WRIGHT kit should fit right in.

However they seem to have the 2493 mechanism in it from the " heavy duty " 2492 ratchet, the body of the 2492 is definitely longer than the 2426 but the heads also look to be bigger in diameter too which would change compatibility.

I do not know if you will be able to use a 3/8" rebuild kit in in your MATCO ratchet, I hate to say it but I'd ask someone on the GJ if they know.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 08:32:21 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2021, 08:19:27 AM »
Here she is. An AR4. Guess the Wright kits will interchange. Good to know.

And I've got a Reverse Gear DBE marked Husky that is really great.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 08:26:59 AM by bonneyman »

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2021, 09:34:20 AM »
Here she is. An AR4. Guess the Wright kits will interchange. Good to know.

And I've got a Reverse Gear DBE marked Husky that is really great.
Yours definitely seems to have the same mechanism as the 2426, so a 3/8 kit should fit.

Btw do you know when Matco was actually offering these ratchets ?
With people say things like " back in the day " with regards to them I get the impression it was quite awhile ago.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 09:36:30 AM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2021, 09:43:42 AM »
Heres most of my Chapman stuff.

I don't use the CM13 bit ratchet very much,  but they released the PR13 palm ratchet a few months back and I really love it.

I quite like the stubby handles and short extension too.
I've got 3 of the stubby handles because they're hard to beat for $1.50, I've got 2 bare handles that came with a double sided bit and one with the short extension permanently fixed in place.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2021, 10:39:53 AM »
Nice Chapman kit! I have a "mutt" set where I collected the various pieces one at a time and then found a yellow case.

Don't know when Matco made the comfort ratchets. And my AR4 is a 1/4" drive model. Would love to have the longer 1/4" and one each of the 3/8" versions.