Author Topic: Everything 1/4dr  (Read 16258 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: Everything 1/4dr
« Reply #105 on: July 22, 2022, 02:22:16 PM »
Something I realized I hadn't mentioned is that I generally try not to do too much reaserch on a ratchets mechanism, because part of the fun for me is opening them up and discovering what they have to offer.
That is unless the mechanism is something I'm specifically looking for like the indestro powr Kraft 100 series ( still haven't identified which standard indestro model that is ).
Most round heads are generally an SK or WRIGHT mechechanism with minor differences,  some kilness,  some tuff 1 / heart spring or half heart spring, and some others tossed in.
Pear heads are most often a batwing style pawl or similar.

I like to explore them, see what they do differently,  and what things some companies do better witha particular mechanism.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #106 on: July 25, 2022, 03:37:30 PM »
On first impressions I'm really impressed.

It's a little longer than I'm used to but the length is a good size,  it's only 45 tooth but as expected from PROTO it's buttery smooth with a light back drag.
The head is a lot smaller than I imagined too.
I'm not sure what kind of mechanism it has in it, but I'll find that out soon enough.
Definitely not the old PROTO stand by, and certainly not a batwing.
 I'm guessing a modern multi tooth swinging pawl type design.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #107 on: July 25, 2022, 04:06:57 PM »
Sort of what I had in mind,  but not exactly.
Is there a name for this mechanism ?
If call it a cradled rocking pawl.

The head is sealed which is nice, theres even a gasket moulded to the cover plate.
The ratchet was smooth as is, but it was bone dry and the super lubes should do it some good.

The teeth are fine, the anvil play is very minimal, the head is small, low profile, low back drag, overall I really like it.
This could easily be my favorite 1/4" ratchet if I hadn't discovered the WRIGHT  contour grip,  hell if this was made by WRIGHT and had their contour grip it could be one of the best 1/4" ratchets ever made if you ask me.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #108 on: July 25, 2022, 05:44:01 PM »
 Very interesting choice of how they sealed the cover plate, just some holes punched into it and a gasket directly moulded to it I believe.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #109 on: July 25, 2022, 06:28:23 PM »
i have heard good things about that series of proto ratchets but sadly other than ordering through grainger there is no local source.

i know it isn't fair but they also just don't appeal to me visually.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #110 on: July 25, 2022, 07:27:27 PM »
i have heard good things about that series of proto ratchets but sadly other than ordering through grainger there is no local source.

I'm not sure I could call them the most attractive ratchets ever, but I'm a bit indifferent I suppose and can't really complain.

All I can really say is at least they're not as ugly as the current Taiwanese Craftsman ratchets, I think those are just terrible looking.
I'm glad they're not made here, and sure as hell hope that's not the design choice for ratchets to come out of the plant in texas.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #111 on: August 14, 2022, 10:06:26 PM »

My go to set of quarter drive. It has removed and installed every refrigerator door we have had in the previous 30 yrs. The ratchet is the china equivalent to the least teeth ratchet with the big clicks but it has never failed.

Tri wing selector

Six point with the cool metal holder.
Rich

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #112 on: August 28, 2022, 06:24:43 PM »
For $12 from Cripe I had to take a gamble on this RATCHKEY set.

Mostly for the William's palm ratchet it comes with , but I believe the Ratchkey ratchet should be American made as well for what it's worth.
I doubt it's very good but will go in my collection if it is
made here, the sockets are sure to be pretty low quality whether US made or not ( Cripe has a smaller Ratchkey set, with USA sockets ), and the bits I'll be happy if their American made but can still find a use otherwise.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 02:21:20 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #113 on: September 01, 2022, 02:33:39 PM »
It turns out the William's super TORQBONE ( no information I could find ) is a bit driving palm ratchet.

It's only got about 40 teeth but it's a smooth fine toothed dual pawl mechanism, and I quite like it.

I'd have paid the $12 for just this.

The sockets are American made except for 2 SAE and the extension that are Taiwanese, even the 1/4 bit holder is American made
I'm still not sure on the source for the sockets but they're the same as those from the JS TECHNOLOGIES  set I have, Stanley maybe.
Nothing to write home about, but the corners are fluted at least.

I got 2 13mm instead of a 1/2, but I don't plan to use them much so it doesn't really matter I suppose.
I'll probably just add the metrics to the JS set.

I think the bits are Vermont American?

The ratchet is American made so it can go in my collection, but it's extremely stiff and pretty much OXWALL quality.

Overall theres a lot to like here for $12.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 02:37:08 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #114 on: September 22, 2022, 02:50:08 PM »
I just got this one in and I like it more than the standard 1/4 version I bought when they first came out.

I think I'm going to order one of those adapters for micro bits, that could be pretty useful in this.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #115 on: October 14, 2022, 11:52:41 AM »
I just checked the older Armstrong 10-901 off my list, I'm not sure how old this one is ( 1980's ? )  but it looks to be in pretty good condition.

These seem easier to come by than the recent more premium 10-901 which I'm also looking to check off my list.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 12:04:35 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #116 on: February 10, 2023, 10:13:53 PM »
I finally bit the bullet on a modification I've had in my head for quite awhile.
 I never liked the longer handle length of the VIM RBF400K and I've always thought it would be awesome with the right kind of handle / grip on it, but I was apprehensive about cutting the end off and never really had an appropriate handle to use.

I know I'll eventually get a standard length variant of the HI-FIVE flex head bit ratchet and I ended up with the perfect handle, so I decided to just go for it and am very happy.

I cut this much off of it ( this will become a bit driver eventually)

Then fit this Channellock / mayhew pick handle onto it from the set I have already replaced after previously repurposing one of the handles.

This really is the perfect handle for it, and makes this little bit ratchet so much nicer.
You no longer have a drive in the handle to use it as a T handle with the extensions pass through feature, but that's not really something I used much anyways.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 10:15:39 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #117 on: February 10, 2023, 11:01:07 PM »

Yeah, I don't really like the look either.

I've discovered that I don't like smooth handles on ratchets, especially the smaller ones. For 1/4'ers I like knurled, oversize, or rubber handles. Just to get and keep a grip with sweaty or greasy hands. The previous generation HF composite rat is really nice. Rather big contoured handle but just right for a small ratchet.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #118 on: February 11, 2023, 03:54:24 AM »
I can't say the 4749xl has the greatest grip ever, but I have much worse, seen uglier, us the mechanism and tiny head are great.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #119 on: April 15, 2023, 02:45:57 PM »
I finally have a good easy driver again thanks to Bman for kindly sending this one to me.

A few years back ( he remembered but I didn't) I traded with him for one that I guess had a bad tab or something, and he recently offered me this one.
 I did a little digging and sure enough I came up with 2 broken ones in a box of random junk in my workshop.

Do you think this would be good for 1" sockets?  :D

Always lookin' to learn