Author Topic: Everything 1/4dr  (Read 16155 times)

Offline bonneyman

Re: Everything 1/4dr
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2022, 03:08:00 PM »
Sometimes you get the bear - sometimes the bear gets you.

You never know. A gear assembly might drop into your lap that'll fit the handles and you can make a mutt ratchet.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2022, 04:57:11 PM »

You never know. A gear assembly might drop into your lap that'll fit the handles and you can make a mutt ratchet.
I bought the rebuild kit, so what I will have is a left over mechanism with no ratchet body to put it in.

It's an SK made floating pawl mechanism like the TUFF1 from what I understand,  but they're only 45 tooth.
I'm not sure what other ratchet it could fit in, but I'll save it and eventually I will have something or somebody else will need it for something they have.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2022, 05:21:06 PM »
10-4 I get it.

I grab every rebuild kit I can, whether I have the ratchet body or not. I never know when a gear cluster will end up working in a different body. In fact I have a 1/2" drive gear coming in that's a really small diameter and I think might fit in a 3/8" body. Fun times ahead playing detective!

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2022, 06:20:51 PM »

I bought the rebuild kit, so what I will have is a left over mechanism with no ratchet body to put it in.

It's an SK made floating pawl mechanism like the TUFF1 from what I understand,  but they're only 45 tooth.
I'm not sure what other ratchet it could fit in, but I'll save it and eventually I will have something or somebody else will need it for something they have.
i dont think sk made them. the cman stuff made by sk has a k as a mfg code or part of the model number.  yes they are similar but not the same. if i  am correct there are some torque wrench heads that us that same mechanism.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2022, 08:00:17 PM »
What I heard was that they used an SK made mechanism in a Danahar made ratchet body and there was a connection with an Italian division of FACOM ( is that USAG ? ) .
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2022, 06:35:43 PM »
I got my rebuild kit yesterday,  but my rat was accidentally delivered to somebody else on friday.

I'm hoping the person is honest enough to return it or something,  otherwise I'll have a hassle of filing a claim tr something.

At least it's only $20, but I'd rather have the ratchet.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline ron350

« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2022, 08:15:09 PM »
That sounds like my lick. Hope they find the ratchet.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2022, 12:46:23 AM »
That sounds like my lick. Hope they find the ratchet.
I sure hope so.

I have received others packages before and always returned them.

One time I got a package addressed to me and inside was $200 worth of 30 caliber airgun slugs ( essentially a .30 cal mine` ball ).
I called the company that shipped them to me, got a return label my way and sent them back.
It's too bad I couldn't just forward them to the recipient, so they didn't have to wait longer than necessary but I understand that they can't give out somebody's adress.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #83 on: March 23, 2022, 11:12:50 AM »
Well the local post master who delivered my ratchet to the wrong person recovered it and got it back in the mail.

I should have it tomorrow.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2022, 02:07:25 PM »
Got the 43174 in finally and I like it, it's smooth with a relatively light action the anvil play is basically zero and the socket fit is great.
I really don't understand why people are always saying this tuff1/ floating pawl / heart spring design is hard to put back together.
Theres nothing to it, just the anvil, pawl, spring,  selector,  and screw.
I could probably put 10 of these back together in the time it takes me to get 1 MDF or Williams batwing pawl back together,  those detent balls are a bitch.

Another ratchet with an overly skinny handle, but I don't hate it.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 02:08:56 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #85 on: June 27, 2022, 09:52:23 PM »
I just added thesec2 to my collection on Saturday.
A modern Proto 4749, and a Japanese 4749 copy made for Hi-lok fasteners.

And I just ordered this NOS Armstrong 10-915A, I think it's the same TUFF1-ish mechanism as the Craftsman Tri-wing ratchets.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2022, 03:12:12 PM »
I decided to rearrange the 1/4dr kit today, and I modified the snapon party box it's housed in.

I need to get some proper EVA foam but as a proof of concept I'm happy, the sockets / extensions present nicely and are no longer difficult to remove .

The one thing about the mac MC1 box I missed was the removable drawer, so I cut the tabs off allowing these drawers to come out.
It adds some real convenience and the tools in the back of the drawers are no longer hard to access.

It also allows me to utilize the space under the bottom drawer for my hex keys that store better in their pouches, and it's a good place for the inspection mirror so it's not scratched by other tools.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 04:01:39 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2022, 02:42:31 PM »
I got the Armstrong ratchet in the mail today,  the head & mechanism are identical to the Craftsman 43174.
I know they're not exactly a well regarded mechanism,  but I don't mind 'em at all.
I like how theres no anvil play, and I appreciate that you can switch the selector one handed.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 02:53:28 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline john k

« Reply #88 on: July 01, 2022, 06:31:23 PM »
Most of the 1/4 in. stuff that has landed here recently, as in the past 5 years.   Thoroughly mixed as to brand,  mostly Craftman, one Snap-On ratchet in there.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #89 on: July 03, 2022, 04:29:33 AM »
I've always liked the looks of those 50's-60's Craftsman 1/4" boxes.
Always lookin' to learn