Author Topic: Social media terrorism  (Read 2230 times)

Offline DeadNutz

Social media terrorism
« on: December 17, 2021, 10:08:20 AM »
Somebody on Tik Tok social media has said today is "National Shoot-up Your School Day." Carson City has closed it's schools for today and our county is taking the threat seriously. Tik Tok is about the most destructive and useless social media out there. Kids have died or been severely injured doing the dangerous so called challenges on there. Is this site a danger to kids and young people or just Darwin weeding the stupid out.

Like most of the jurisdictions across the United States, Douglas County authorities are warning schools of Tik Tok posts threatening school shootings and bombings.
Douglas County School Superintendent Keith Lewis wrote parents to say that both the district and the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office are taking the threats seriously.
Carson City closed its schools today, citing the threat.

The source of the posts is unknown and is being reported by media outlets across the county.
“This notice is for your information only, as there are no credible threats against any Douglas County schools,” Lewis said in the letter. “Regardless of whether there are credible local threats, Douglas County Sheriff’s Office will have a presence at all schools tomorrow.”
Friday is the last day of school before Christmas break.

“I’m sorry that these outside issues create situations which cause concern for parents, students and staff,” Lewis said. “Student and staff safety is a priority, and as I have said before, I truly appreciated the collaborative relationship we have with our local sheriff’s office. It’s comforting knowing that the sheriff’s office prioritizes the safety of our schools and community and we will continue to work to be vigilant.”

Offline fatfillup

Re: Social media terrorism
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2021, 01:50:01 PM »
 Heard about it this morning, didn't know the source. My son alerted us and asked for prayer.

Posts like that can certainly push kids on the edge to take action and is very dangerous.

Very sad this is the world we live in

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2021, 02:08:00 PM »
Absolutely disgusting! There are so many destructive social media apps out there that it boggles the mind. At some point this media glut will become a pandemic in itself. When does freedom of speech conflict with the safety of our children?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2021, 03:04:54 PM »
Tik Tok is a Chinese trojan horse.

It's too bad we're allowing this garbage to close a school system down.
boop/bop/beep

Offline walrus

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2021, 05:55:02 AM »
Maine schools closed yesterday also. I saw somewhere that TikTok says they can't find any evidence of misdoing on their site.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2021, 09:22:32 AM »
Texas schools closed a day early as well. I don’t blame TikTok for this it’s a social problem in this country of school violence. Why have we allowed our children to become pawns in this problem is beyond me.

I know that Facebook does a lot of censorship of right wing agendas and I don’t agree with that. I don’t TikTok but can see if they start censoring one group where does it stop?

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2021, 08:17:55 AM »
Has our society reached a new normal? 
Can we reign in the reach of technology and protect our children?
Have we become numb to killings and violence and hatred?
Is the 24 hour news cycle directing our culture?

My answers
Sadly yes
No
Yes
To a large degree

As most of us here are middle age and beyond, if we look at the changes in technology, culture and civility over our lifetimes, can you imagine what it will be like in another 50 years?

Sorry, just some ramblings from an old formerly fat guy :-[  Maybe the Amish have it right

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2021, 10:00:51 AM »

My answers
Sadly yes
No
Yes
To a large degree

As most of us here are middle age and beyond, if we look at the changes in technology, culture and civility over our lifetimes, can you imagine what it will be like in another 50 years?

Sorry, just some ramblings from an old formerly fat guy :-[  Maybe the Amish have it right

I agree with your assessment Phil. Many years ago I had a colleague who was an accomplished social scientist of note, and his premise was that the eventual fall of our society would be (in large part) connected to the disintegration of the family unit, the minimalization (or malignment) of religious belief, and the cultural rot that was a by-product of social/societal breakdown.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2021, 10:22:21 AM »
Well he said it a lot better than I  :))

I can't help but think of some of the futuristic movies where everyone wears the same uniform, lives in the same style houses or apartments, has propaganda broadcast 24/7 and everyone is monitored.  Any behavior out of the norm is not tolerated and folks act like robots not thinking for themselves

What a bright future :91:

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2021, 01:21:07 PM »
I pretty much taught our children that they need to make good decisions. Maybe not the decisions the wife and I would make but at least when they are on the you g side we could direct and be able to pull them back out of the fire if a poor decision was reached and acted on. As they have gotten older the decision making still might not be what the wife and I agree with but at least they weren't sent out into society totally blind to the social pressures and consequences of those made decisions . And hopefully will make good ones with more experience.

Rich

• Ran when parked
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2021, 06:05:03 PM »

My answers
Sadly yes
No
Yes
To a large degree

I agree with your assessment Phil. Many years ago I had a colleague who was an accomplished social scientist of note, and his premise was that the eventual fall of our society would be (in large part) connected to the disintegration of the family unit, the minimalization (or malignment) of religious belief, and the cultural rot that was a by-product of social/societal breakdown.

Three words.  Black Lives Matter
boop/bop/beep

Offline slip knot

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2021, 07:31:20 PM »

My answers
Sadly yes
No
Yes
To a large degree

I think the BLM movement is again just another manifestation of the societal rot, certainly not the cause. we were having mass violence issues long before BLM came mainstream. The white guilt that BLM manipulates is probably more of an education issue.

• Ran when parked
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2021, 08:22:12 PM »

My answers
Sadly yes
No
Yes
To a large degree

I think the BLM movement is again just another manifestation of the societal rot, certainly not the cause. we were having mass violence issues long before BLM came mainstream. The white guilt that BLM manipulates is probably more of an education issue.

Absolutely.  I guess I could've clarified.  When the indoctrination and mind melding are successful, it makes young skulls full of mush open to ridiculous ideas like BLM, Antifa, white supremacy, blah blah blah.  A sane, rational mind can see right through this nonsense.
boop/bop/beep