Author Topic: Picked up this used Eagle 5 HP 60 Gal today  (Read 3039 times)

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
Picked up this used Eagle 5 HP 60 Gal today
« on: February 18, 2022, 07:58:46 PM »
I've been getting a little serious about my shop setup lately, after years of making do with what I had.  This is primarily in support of a major make over of one of my cars...or at least that's the excuse I'm using.  Recent acquisitions include Oxy/Acetelyne tanks (already had the torches, but there's a story there for another time), 20 litre parts washer, 40 pound sand blast cabinet (essentially an HF cabinet, I'll be doing some mods to it...in another thread), mobile sandblast pot, etc.

I've also been enjoying the mobility of Milwaukee's M18 and M12 tools and rarely needing to haul out the compressor and air hoses to wherever they were needed...so I've been debating whether I really needed to splurge on a new compressor.  My current compressor is a 4.5 hp, 20 gal portable/horizontal tank that's about 25 years old.  It's served me extremely well through the years but a) it's getting old and b) it won't keep up with the sand blaster.

So I had been casually checking out new and used 60 gallon compressors lately, and this one came up on marketplace just down the road from me for about $950 USD.  Used, but seems pretty clean and solid.  It had already been removed from the building it had been used in (hard wired) so I couldn't hear it run...took a chance and now my fingers are crossed that all is well with it.  Supposedly in regular use until last month.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Picked up this used Eagle 5 HP 60 Gal today
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2022, 08:08:30 PM »
Looks good as new. Is it a single, or double stage pump assembly? Either way, it looks like it will handle the blast cabinet without much effort.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 09:27:53 PM by goodfellow »

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2022, 09:21:55 PM »
Literature indicates it's a single stage.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2022, 09:27:18 PM »
Literature indicates it's a single stage.

Thanks Clay --

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2022, 11:48:41 PM »
That will help with the sandblasting.   :bravo_2:
boop/bop/beep

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2022, 08:06:34 AM »
I have made a similar move from a well used 20gal version to this type of setup. Very nice!

You have an easy to access tank drain, which is important.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2022, 08:11:25 AM »
I've got a similiar sized compressor in my shop. Your making a good move to go this direction.

I still use all my pneumatic tools in the shop, I've got them, why not use them. Especially my auto body stuff.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2022, 08:52:58 AM »
After being tired of waiting for pressure to build while using air tools I decided to buy a new compressor. After checking out new ones I ended up buying the contents of a shop that were left after the wife and I held an estate sale for a widow. I got a NAPA branded Schrader Bridgeport 5hp 80 gal 2-stage compressor that was like new. I paid about 1/3 of the cost of a new one and don't run out of air now. The feature about it I really like is that the big pulley on the compressor is designed to move so much air across the compressor unit it will never get hot. It is uncomfortable to stand in front of it while it is running as it will chill you even on a warm day.

I have seen guys hook up a large compressor using just a switch. I used a fused disconnect box with the time delay fuses that are good for motors starting on the 240V power.

Offline highland512

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2022, 07:34:04 AM »
I have a setup similar to this as well. Just be mindful of duty cycle while sandblasting, I got my compressor pretty hot one time while under a sandblasting hood.

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2022, 11:27:41 AM »
I have a setup similar to this as well. Just be mindful of duty cycle while sandblasting, I got my compressor pretty hot one time while under a sandblasting hood.

Absolutely.  That's the main reason I upgraded, knowing my smaller compressor's duty cycle was nowhere near up to the task.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2022, 11:44:34 AM »
Just a suggestion Clay; place it on some rubber/synthetic floor mats. It make a BIG difference in noise reduction and dampens vibration. I've had mine on two 1/2" thick industrial floor mats for over 20 years and they have held up well given the amount of moisture and oil that gets on them when I drain the tank once a month.

Also, if you want an easy and inexpensive way to drain the tank, take a look at the manual cable operated drain valves that are usually installed on semi-trucks. I've had mine installed since day one, and it makes draining the tank a breeze. Cheaper and more robust than most electronic drain systems.

https://petetruckparts.com/product/drain-valve-w-cable-f12105c-replaces-12105/?device=c&keyword=&campaign=389535149&adgroup=pla-4576167404041578&msclkid=5167cf8cb9961478e30bad9b7dcc676e&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=**LP%20Shop%20-%20Fleet%20Choice&utm_term=4576167404041578&utm_content=63604%20%7C%20DRAIN%20VALVE%20W%2FCABLE%20F12105C%20(replaces%2012105)%20%7C%20%245.95
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 05:49:46 AM by goodfellow »

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2022, 12:22:16 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, Ray!

I have a bit of work ahead of me before I can position it in a permanent location, but rubber mats or insulators are definitely in the plan.  It will be in a yet to be reconstructed shed attached to the back of the shop so hopefully not as intrusive inside...but I still have to be conscious of the noise for neighbours.

It currently has straight copper pipe plumbed from the drain hole (no draincock) which was cut when removed from the old location.  I suspect they had a ball valve somewhere along the line for drainage and I'll likely use a similar setup near a drain.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2022, 07:27:31 PM »
Good points Ray. Mine is bolted down with 3/8 rubber mats under the feet. My drain has a ball valve inline and makes it easy to drain. I used a piece of air hose to go through the wall of the shop with a slight down slope for drainage. Since I still had a new air exhaust muffler from the punch presses I stuck that on the end of the hose and staked the hose end pointed down and staked with a rod. The muffler quiets the exhaust so much I can barely hear it from inside the shop and it won't annoy the neighbor who is 100' away and the moisture goes right through it.

https://www.mcmaster.com/mufflers/compact-high-flow-mufflers/

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2022, 11:08:55 PM »

[/quote]
Absolutely.  That's the main reason I upgraded, knowing my smaller compressor's duty cycle was nowhere near up to the task.
[/quote]

Money well spent, nice one  :cool2:

1776 ................... what happened!