Author Topic: 1970 Oldsmobile 442ish Cutlass  (Read 1670 times)

Offline Der Bugmeister

Re: 1970 Oldsmobile 442ish Cutlass
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2022, 06:54:43 PM »
Be careful with Mondello , a friend of mine had a bad experience with them.

There are two Mondellos - Mondello Performance in Paso Robles and Bernard Mondello Racing Enterprises in Corona.  Mondello Performance is the one your friend would have had a bad experience with.  Although that company was founded by the legendary Joe Mondello, it was purchased by Lynn Welfringer when Joe retired.  I've seen copious amounts of bad experiences posted dealing with them about quality, customer service and more.

Bernard Mondello is Joe's son and has a solid reputation for high quality parts and service.  He learned head work and machining from Joe growing up and working with his dad through the years...and this is who I'm buying the parts from.

So definitely an excellent warning...I wouldn't buy a used nail from Lynn!

Offline Der Bugmeister

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2022, 06:55:49 PM »
Cool pics -- thanks for the update Clay.

More to come, thanks for looking!!!

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2022, 10:52:40 PM »
Yep your right it was lynn.
I did meet Joe one day was a terrific bloke.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline Der Bugmeister

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2022, 07:07:29 PM »
Fenders, bumper and core support removed.  This will make access for cleaning and painting the firewall and frame a lot easier.  While it's apart, I'll be installing the hydraulic clutch and new engine bay wiring.  Core support and inside of fenders will also be cleaned and painted.  So much for a quick engine swap  :))

I'll probably switch to the interior before doing much else here, as it's coming out for a complete swap/refresh as well.  The blue parts car has the black bucket seats and console that will be installed here.  Part of the conversion is changing out the speedometer to one without the automatic gear selector indicator (although I'll probably be replacing all gauges with Speedhut ones anyhow) and the steering column.  I'd like to move the blue car on to it's next owner, but not before I use it for a template to position the console mounting brackets and bucket seat mount locations.  And guess where that steering column is coming from as well.

Offline 39Tudor

• Addicted to Anything That Takes Quarters!
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2022, 08:06:34 PM »
Clay, thanks for the update.  Looks like you are making progress.  I am enjoying following along with your journey!
Jerry