Author Topic: 1970 Oldsmobile 442ish Cutlass  (Read 15759 times)

Offline jabberwoki

Re: 1970 Oldsmobile 442ish Cutlass
« Reply #120 on: September 10, 2023, 09:31:15 AM »
That's going to be one hell of a car
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #121 on: October 18, 2023, 02:07:41 PM »
That's going to be one hell of a car

It's sure shaping up to be more of a beast than I originally intended!  Not gonna complain at all though lol

I've been picking away at it as time permits lately.  I sure did think I'd have more free time in retirement but man that sure turned out to be a myth!  The last 4 weeks were essentially a write off as I'm involved with a Haunted House fundraiser which entails building a labyrinth of rooms in a barn at the local exhibition grounds, put in more hours than if I was working full time!  Very worthwhile though as it raises tens of thousands of dollars for local charities each year.

Anyhow, I finally buttoned up the rear brakes last night.  It's been a few years since I've done them so there was a fair bit of fitting, thinking, unfitting, beer, refitting, oops that's in wrong, involved.  Once I got straightened out it went quickly though.  Discovered that the spring kit I had was incomplete (got it with a bunch of new brake parts from that blue Cutlass I had and assumed it was good to go) and probably not even the right one for my car.  Set the rear end down on rubber so she's sitting with her butt up in the air while I get the front together.

Nothing special about the rear brakes - all stock drum setup.  Discs would be nice but currently out of the budget and probably not really essential for the driving I'll be doing. Coilovers would be nice too, but yeah...

My daughter gave me a hand getting the front springs and spindles in.  That went pretty smoothly once I cut the spring compressors centre shaft down so it wouldn't bottom out on the frame and figured out where to put the fingers (the compressor's fingers...mine stayed well clear!) so they wouldn't interfere either.  Wilwood disc brakes are the order of the day here along with UMI springs and all new steering components.  I'm considering getting a quick ratio steering box but the jury is still out on that one for now.

The engine is still at the machine shop, sounds like they'll be grinding the crank this week so still a little ways out.  I'm hoping to get finished with the frame soon as the weather has gone for crap and with this project monopolizing the shop my two good cars are sitting outside sharing a short shelter.

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #122 on: October 18, 2023, 08:05:20 PM »
Don't know why I didn't do this before...probably because I was planning on bolting all four up to my '71 for a road test to check clearances first.  Anyhow, as much as I love the look of the stock wheels I've opted for these American Racing Torque Thrust II wheels and realized I can bolt them up now to check whether there are any fitment issues with frame or suspension.  They look like they'll work just fine.   At the rear, at any rate.

17 " x 8" rear, 17" x 7" front.

Now to figure out what size rubber to wrap them with.

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #123 on: October 18, 2023, 08:28:41 PM »
Looking good.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 08:31:25 PM by Heiny57 »
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #124 on: October 22, 2023, 01:40:12 AM »
Installed a set of Wilwood disc brakes for the front, direct bolt on to the drum brake spindle.  Went well for the most part, definitely pays to read the instructions cover to cover before starting.  I had to back track a couple of times but nothing serious.  Wheel and tire clearances look good, but I still want to bolt the rims up to my '71 so I can confirm the clearances to the body are also good. 

Have to go talk to the tire shop next, but I think I'll be going with 205/50R17 rubber for the front and 255/50R17 for the rear.  The tire width and diameter for those sizes comes close to matching the 205/70R14 and 255/30R15 sizes I was going to use on the stock rims although the sidewalls will be shorter which makes up for the larger rims of course.

The frame is now sitting on all four wheels, and it feels good to look at that.  Next up is painting and assembling the steering components and installing the brake lines.  Still have to decide what I want to use for fuel line and fittings.  Going to 1/2" lines to support the thirsty engine better, will probably use braided line from the tank to the pump with a primary filter midway along the frame as there's no sock filter on the new fuel pickup.  Then the frame will sit waiting for the engine to arrive, and I'll get back to work on the body's underside.

The goal is to drive this car by late spring 2024!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #125 on: October 22, 2023, 09:11:51 AM »
Very good work Clay! It looks fantastic. Love the pics, - thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #126 on: October 24, 2023, 01:28:36 AM »
Very good work Clay! It looks fantastic. Love the pics, - thank you!

Thanks, Ray!  Not quite as detailed as some of your posts, but we all love seeing photos of projects coming together!

I rigged the tie rods/centre link together temporarily so I could steer the frame and rolled it outside for a little bit of car tetris.  I picked up the Torque Thrust rims used, so I wasn't certain they were going to work but after bolting them up to my '71 I know I can go ahead and get new rubber for them.

Next to paint the steering components and a bunch of smaller hardware, install the steering and brake lines then turn my attention back to cleaning the floor pans and getting the body ready for reuniting.

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #127 on: October 24, 2023, 01:30:11 AM »
A couple more shop shots

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #128 on: October 24, 2023, 06:52:38 AM »
Tighter than a gnat's a$$ in there -- LOL Great pics of the shop and the work.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #129 on: October 24, 2023, 02:06:46 PM »
Did you box the frame any?

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #130 on: October 24, 2023, 02:13:23 PM »

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #131 on: October 24, 2023, 07:23:38 PM »
Tighter than a gnat's a$$ in there -- LOL Great pics of the shop and the work.

Yep, and all the other sheds are full of "crap" as well.  Fortunately it's all crap the people keep buying off me so I can fund the project.  Wife says I have too much stuff and while I might silently agree with her I can never admit it out loud.  Instead, I point out that I just don't have enough space.

Remember how big that 30 x 30 looked when I rolled the VW in for the first time?

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #132 on: October 24, 2023, 07:25:31 PM »
Did you box the frame any?

I debated it, but the build budget was already getting out of control so decided to skip the expense.  It sounds like I should be fine - the engine is being built for good street driving and I won't be racing or trying to wheelstand it  O:-)

The rear control arm kit included frame braces though.

The car in the video is pretty damned sweet.  I'm trying not to get my expectations too high for mine but I know it's not gonna be a slouch :-)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 07:42:37 PM by Der Bugmeister »

Offline Elroy

« Reply #133 on: October 24, 2023, 08:10:05 PM »
looking for red wheel well liners ?

Offline Elroy

« Reply #134 on: October 24, 2023, 08:18:18 PM »
those wilwood brakes look great, :-*