Author Topic: 1970 Oldsmobile 442ish Cutlass  (Read 15749 times)

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
Re: 1970 Oldsmobile 442ish Cutlass
« Reply #135 on: October 24, 2023, 08:34:00 PM »
those wilwood brakes look great, :-*

Hopefully they work as good as the look :-D

I'm not looking for red fender wells although they might look good in there with the other red parts going into the engine bay.  If I came across a set of cheap repops around here I might consider picking them up...never know!

Offline Elroy

« Reply #136 on: October 24, 2023, 09:00:55 PM »
red fender wells ................ might look good in there with the other red parts going into the engine bay.

Those red liners would look bad ass with a big set of chrome header collectors at your feet.

keep after that ride and it'll be a real stunner. looks real good. nice and clean. :-*

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #137 on: October 24, 2023, 11:10:44 PM »
red fender wells ................ might look good in there with the other red parts going into the engine bay.

Those red liners would look bad ass with a big set of chrome header collectors at your feet.

keep after that ride and it'll be a real stunner. looks real good. nice and clean. :-*

Now you've got me pondering that, lol.  For the price of new ones I'd rather pick up the rest of the parts to complete a functional OAI setup (I have the hood) but if I spy some used ones out and about...

Ceramic coated headers going in with the engine.

Online jabberwoki

« Reply #138 on: October 25, 2023, 01:59:23 PM »
I have a really good olds 442 connection up here so if you need something special I'll hook you up.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #139 on: December 03, 2023, 03:43:35 PM »
Another one of those mixed bag updates.  Got distracted by a few other higher priority things, had to move the frame outside a few times in the rain and shop is a big mess again, lol.  I need to spend some quality zen time cleaning the mud splashes off the frame (rain mixing with accumulated dust and hand prints from moving it) then get back onto cleaning/painting steering components, brake lines and source my fuel line. 

I've spent a few more hours scraping the bottom of the floor pans, still many hours ahead of me but at least I can see some progress there! 

My swap meet rims have become more expensive than I planned.  They're two piece American Racing Torque Thrust II's (https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/are-vn5057861?retaillocation=int) that list for about $616 Cdn each before taxes and shipping.  I got the set for $1000 Cdn, which was less than the similar one piece rims would have cost new.  Rims were a nice to have upgrade as I would have been just as happy running the OEM SS2 rims.  Anyhow, figured out what size rubber I wanted to run on the 17" rims, ordered them in and dropped the rims off with the tire shop.  Turns out three of the rims need to be straightened up and massaged...one of the rear wheels wanted a 6 ounce weight to balance it out.  Apparently that will run as much as $300 a rim.  On the bright side, they come back looking (and performing) like new...but that means the last rim needs to be sent out for inspection and cleanup. 

As disappointing as all that is, I do like how those rims look, and any other aftermarket rims would cost me more than the cost of repairs to these ones...so I'm going ahead with that.  I hate spending unplanned money that could be used for parts I want!!!

Like a close ratio steering box.  I'm checking out my options on those, and will likely go with a Bergeson 12.1:1 ratio.

Meanwhile my engine is starting to go together.  Some photos from Thursday, they have the first piston in, were just getting the degree wheel setup and prepping to set the endplay.  But we need a water pump, which is easier said than done as there are three different lengths of pump, depending on whether you're running AC or not, and whether the engine is 1970 or earlier.  Pick the wrong one and your pulleys won't line up.  The earlier pumps also have a different OD on the output pipe than the later ones.  I haven't found a "upgrading oldsmobile cooling system parts for dummies" list anywhere so trying to sift through option!

I have a BeCool radiator so I also need to take the input/output pipe ODs into account there to make sure I can get hoses that will work without a whole bunch of messing around. 

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #140 on: December 03, 2023, 03:46:45 PM »
While I was doing the rear body mount repair I had noticed that some panel repair had been done, apparently with extensive use of panel bond sealant vice welding.  With the body on the rotisserie the weak metal is more obvious.  Although I don't think this area is critical, and the void space behind it is open to the elements in various places, I think I'll wind up doing some limited metal replacement around this area.

Why didn't I do that area when I did the mount repair?  Well, primarily because my replacement panel didn't extend that far.  When I cut the old metal from the donor car a few years ago I wasn't even thinking I might need or want that area and it was just blind luck that I even had the section for the mount.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 03:49:43 PM by Der Bugmeister »

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #141 on: December 03, 2023, 03:51:09 PM »
I have a really good olds 442 connection up here so if you need something special I'll hook you up.

Thanks...one of the guys in Vancouver area?

The car isn't a 442 and isn't stock so there probably won't be much in the way of 442 parts I ever need, but I'll keep that in mind :-)

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #142 on: December 14, 2023, 02:05:14 AM »
All going well we'll be putting fire in the holes sometime next week.  Builder will break it in, tune and dyno it.

Online jabberwoki

« Reply #143 on: December 14, 2023, 02:06:16 PM »
No these guys are Chris at I can auto.
If you saw his yard you'd go bonkers.
What are your guesses for hp and tq?

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #144 on: December 14, 2023, 03:03:08 PM »
It's got a mild cam, and the headers might be slightly smaller than ideal.  Based on conversations with Bernard Mondello (he supplied the parts and reworked the heads) I think we'll be around 475 hp and 545 torque.

Online jabberwoki

« Reply #145 on: December 14, 2023, 06:40:13 PM »
Yes... that should be adequate..... :93:

Offline ron350

« Reply #146 on: December 14, 2023, 11:39:29 PM »
 That looks like it is going to hurt your neck.

Did Mondelo sell you a split timing chain cover that lets you replace the cam with the motor in the car?

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #147 on: December 15, 2023, 12:47:50 AM »

Did Mondelo sell you a split timing chain cover that lets you replace the cam with the motor in the car?

Nope.  I thought about getting one but I don't think I'll be swapping the cam on a regular basis.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #148 on: December 15, 2023, 07:13:58 AM »

Nope.  I thought about getting one but I don't think I'll be swapping the cam on a regular basis.

On those old GM cars of that era you can swap the cam with the engine still in the car. I removed the grill and radiator and tied back the condenser and that gave me enough room to swap cams on my old 68 Chevelle years ago. That Cutlass should be no different.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline The Magic Ratchet

« Reply #149 on: December 15, 2023, 10:17:51 AM »
I really like your valve covers. Where did they come from?

Lou Manglass