Author Topic: 1970 Oldsmobile 442ish Cutlass  (Read 15763 times)

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
Re: 1970 Oldsmobile 442ish Cutlass
« Reply #165 on: February 06, 2024, 08:39:25 PM »
I like the '67s, sounds like that car left an impression!

So this happened today...

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #166 on: February 10, 2024, 03:18:26 AM »
Starting to feel more like a car again...sorta!  Engine is in and the transmission is installed, so now I can sit by the gear shift and make motor sounds for my own amusement at least!  Transmission is a Tremec TKX 5 speed which doesn't require any tunnel mods to fit, apart from adding the shifter hump which I need to figure out the right location for.

Underbody is almost ready for paint.  Switched to using a wire wheel for removing the undercoat...makes the job go a lot quicker.  Some lessons learned though...Milwaukee M18 grinders don't like extended use like that.  All the magic smoke escaped from mine (and of course it's out of warranty).  This was a regular M18, not the brushless Fuel.

Also, when you're using a wire wheel on a grinder with no guard, and wearing thin gloves, and the thought crosses your mind that maybe you should be wearing leather gloves...maybe you SHOULD be wearing leather gloves.  Ouch.  Split second of contact removed a nice swath of skin from one of my fingers.  Coulda been worse.

I'll be using a two part epoxy primer for the underbody.  I currently have some which I was told would be a fairly dark grey but it looks more like USN destroyer grey or a bit lighter.  It will only be visible to someone looking underneath the car (which I have to keep reminding myself is not meant to be a trophy winning show car) or me when I have the car up on the lift but I'm not sure I'll be happy with the lighter shade there.  I'm mainly after something that will provide a more subtle contrast to the frame and suspension.  Probably overthinking it, but that's what I do.  Black would work too I guess.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #167 on: February 10, 2024, 06:07:57 AM »
Love those valve covers Clay -- classic! Frame came out excellent as well.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #168 on: February 10, 2024, 10:13:10 AM »
What GF said! I have never seen VC that had Olds cast into them. Very cool for sure!
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #169 on: February 10, 2024, 12:35:09 PM »
Thanks!  I'm still debating whether to leave them bare or to paint and expose the top relief but I have plenty of other higher priority tasks to deal with before I get to that point.

There are a few covers with Oldsmobile embossed on them, I definitely like these ones.  They were made by GMPP but haven't been available for a few years now. I lucked into this NOS pair.  They cost me an arm and a leg...probably would have been better putting the money elsewhere but no regrets!  I had to switch to a hydroboost braking system because even an 8" booster hits the covers, so there were some pricey consequences to this choice.

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #170 on: February 25, 2024, 01:36:23 AM »
Plugging away...fitted up the headers and didn't need to do any reshaping to get them to fit.  They're ceramic coated from Patriot, a subsidiary of Pertronix.  Started mocking up some of the accessories and test fitting other parts and so far it looks like everything is working the way it should.  I was concerned the tall valve covers were going to create fitment issues with the alternator bracket. 

I'm looking forward to reuniting the body and the frame so I can start fitting all the other brake and steering components together.  I'm sure I'll be needing to get creative and do some fabrication with some of it at any rate.  The brake combination valve can't be installed in the factory position, for example, and I need to plumb a line lock in there somewhere too.  But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Work progresses on the underside, and the metal is starting to look pretty clean under there.  I'm doing what should be my final front to back pass getting down to bare metal and cleaning out the nooks and crannies I can.  Hopefully just a couple more nights at it and I can flip the body to get at the stuff I can't see now.  I also need to weld in the bucket seat mounting brackets and cut a hole for the shifter before I paint the bottom with a two part epoxy etching primer.

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #171 on: February 25, 2024, 01:40:09 AM »
Media blasting would have been a lot easier.  I've burnt out one Milwaukee M18 grinder and my 30+ year old corded grinder with the flaky switch no workey now either.  Feels like this part of the job will NEVER end!

Offline The Magic Ratchet

« Reply #172 on: February 25, 2024, 05:06:55 AM »
Well done!

I used the same cleaning process for the frame on my '58 F-100 and it seemed like it took forever. Fortunately, I had a lot of help with it. When one helper tired out, another took their place. I probably only had to do half of it but the prep was worth it. It's almost 40 years later and it still looks pretty good.

Lou Manglass

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #173 on: February 25, 2024, 07:27:53 AM »
Fantastic -- that rotisserie is a great addition. When I did my Jag, I found that my garage wasn't big enough for a proper rotisserie. I cobbled together a makeshift version and it was painful to work with. Your setup is downright luxurious Clay. Congrats!!!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #174 on: February 25, 2024, 09:10:47 AM »
 :cool2: :bravo_2:
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline Elroy

« Reply #175 on: February 25, 2024, 09:22:13 AM »
Keep going. That's going to turn out being a real nice car if that body looks anything like that big block rocket. kool

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #176 on: February 25, 2024, 02:04:12 PM »
Keep going. That's going to turn out being a real nice car if that body looks anything like that big block rocket. kool

Thanks, Elroy.  I started off with a clean car that I couldn't say "no" to.  I haven't had to touch the paint and although it will never be a Best Paint contender it still holds it's own.  Not quite the colour I would have painted it myself but I don't hate it!

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #177 on: February 25, 2024, 02:04:54 PM »
Well done!

I used the same cleaning process for the frame on my '58 F-100 and it seemed like it took forever. Fortunately, I had a lot of help with it. When one helper tired out, another took their place. I probably only had to do half of it but the prep was worth it. It's almost 40 years later and it still looks pretty good.

Lou Manglass

Thanks, Lou!  I don't need to get 40 years out of mine but I'll be very pleased to get 10 or 15 then it's someone else's problem :-D  I haven't had anyone rushing to help with this part of the job but I also tend to do most of my work later at night.  I do have a couple friends just itching to get going on reassembly though...one of them is my "audio expert" and loves wiring.

Fantastic -- that rotisserie is a great addition. When I did my Jag, I found that my garage wasn't big enough for a proper rotisserie. I cobbled together a makeshift version and it was painful to work with. Your setup is downright luxurious Clay. Congrats!!!

I picked up that rotisserie for a song several years ago, figured at least one of my cars was going to need it and I'm very glad to have it now.  I always marvelled at how well organized and how much you were able to accomplish in the space you had, Ray.  You must be enjoying having a bit more room now!

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #178 on: March 04, 2024, 01:57:24 PM »
Flipped her over so I could get at the rest of the areas without having to work upside down.  It's amazing how many spots I missed even with my face right up close to the work.  The lighting sometimes makes it hard to distinguish between scuffed black paint and shiny new metal, my aging eyes don't help either!

Progress is being made but I'm not sure if that light is the end of the tunnel or an oncoming train!  Still need to go at the rear axle arch area, trunk pan and valance area then pick more undercoat and crap out of the corners and crevices.  At some point I have to say "enough is enough", do a final degrease then get some paint on the thing so I can move forward.  I'm getting so sick of this part of the job, but I know I'll have peace of mind knowing exactly what's under the car when I hit the street.

Spring is coming and I'm gonna drive this beast this year!

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #179 on: March 04, 2024, 02:31:27 PM »
That certain is the way to go :cool2:
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?