Author Topic: Waste Oil Heater  (Read 1372 times)

Offline highland512

Waste Oil Heater
« on: February 23, 2022, 04:07:13 PM »
When I bought my place it not only came with a couple old tractors but also about 250-300 gallons of waste oil. I have been pondering the idea of building a waste oil burner/heater to heat the shop in the winter and dispose of my used oil. I have been looking at plans and watching some videos on the tube about building one of these out of an old water heater tank and a water heater blower (I also have and old 60gal gas water heater that was also left by the previous owner). Anybody have any experience with one of these? I am assuming you would install one of these similarly to installing a wood stove. Does this sound like a crazy idea of a pyro or a simple diy way to kill 2 birds with one stone? 

Offline DeadNutz

Re: Waste Oil Heater
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2022, 06:19:15 PM »
I know a guy who uses one on his house though I have never seen what it looks like. He was an HVAC guy and had plenty of guys saving waste oil especially from friends with big trucks and heavy equipment.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2022, 06:55:17 PM »
My first shop had a type of waste oil heater in it. It was home built job that was there when I got there. We just added to it. It was a regular wood burnin stove that had a5 gallon bucket on a shelf with copper tube to drip oil onto the fire. Not very efficient and it was prone to plugging up you had to filter the oil before filling the bucket. After 3 or 4 years we modded it up to run around the clock. We had several 55 gallon barrels of oil. we mounted a SBC oil pump onto a barrel lid with a long pick up tube. We found a really slow speed gear drive to run the oil pump, like 2rpms. this went thru a spin on oil filter and into the stove. it would run a long time but still not very efficient. later we took some brake line tubing and made several coils to fit up in top of the stove. That was a game changer, getting the oil hot before feeding it to the fire worked. BTU output went way up and smoking went way down. But you still needed to have a wood fire to make it work the best.

My current shop has propane heat. Not cheap but not as much work either.

Offline highland512

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2022, 10:00:28 PM »
I’m thinking of something like this. I think the fresh forced air induction would be a major key to keeping the combustion clean and efficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk