Author Topic: Pressure Washer recommendation  (Read 3389 times)

Offline Fatty_McButterpants

Pressure Washer recommendation
« on: March 17, 2022, 04:27:33 PM »
I’m looking to buy a gas powered pressure washer and I could use some input. I just want it for cleaning my own stuff and the occasional side job.

I’d prefer something I can buy through Amazon especially if I can get the Assurant protection plan with it. I don’t care if it craps out after a year if I have the Assurant coverage. Unfortunately, I haven’t found one yet on Amazon that offers the Assurant plan.

What PSI should I be looking for? Most are around 3200. Will that handle most jobs? While I’d prefer to spend as little as possible, I know there’s truth in “You get what you pay for.” Is $1000 enough to get a decent pressure washer? What jobs would call for hot water? What price would I be looking at for one of those units? I can I buy a hot water system to work in conjunction with my regular pressure washer?

TIA for you help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DeadNutz

Re: Pressure Washer recommendation
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2022, 04:39:26 PM »
Our member Phil sells pressure washers and hot water units. He does not sell cheap crap but generally industrial stuff.
He might not even want to recommend a homeowner grade machine.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 05:00:07 PM by DeadNutz »

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2022, 04:52:34 PM »
What will your washer be used for? Deck and house siding cleaning? Grimy undersides of tractors? Kiddie toy dusting?

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2022, 08:06:31 PM »
What will your washer be used for? Deck and house siding cleaning? Grimy undersides of tractors? Kiddie toy dusting?
I’ve never cleaned siding or a deck but I can’t say I won’t. I’d definitely be cleaning tree sap off my vehicles and cleaning the underside of cars where their all greasy and dirty. I figure as long as I have the equipment, I might buy some accessories and do some side jobs. Cleaning concrete and brick is something I’m sure I can do without messing anything up.

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2022, 08:09:27 PM »
Our member Phil sells pressure washers and hot water units. He does not sell cheap crap but generally industrial stuff.
He might not even want to recommend a homeowner grade machine.
I’ll consider buying a commercial grade machine but definitely not top end. More of a starter unit since I don’t have a specific plan for using it beyond cleaning my own stuff.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2022, 08:33:42 AM »
I'd look at Northern tool, I'll bet you can find something there.
1776 ................... what happened!

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2022, 03:27:33 PM »
I'd look at Northern tool, I'll bet you can find something there.
I looked at their stuff online before posting here but I still need to know what I should and shouldn’t get. I’ve only been to the Northern Tool store once. I don’t get the impression that they’re looked at as unfavorably as Harbor Freight. I see Harbor Freight stuff compared to name brands all the time. I never see the same for Northern Tool.

Online skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2022, 07:00:14 PM »
i have had a north star from northern tool for years. when it gets used, it gets used hard. i paid over a grand and a comparable one would be 1500 or so now. it has a 13hp honda engine and a name brand pump. i did thrash out a pump but replacing it was still far less than comparable new one.

my 02. buy one with a horizonatal shaft honda and name brand pump such as comet or cat. the actual brand doesn't make a lot of difference after that.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2022, 07:36:48 AM »
The pump as mentioned is the big deal, change the oil, engine & pump.

Reading skfarmer's post we have the same machine.

If I were in close proximity to Phil I would, be looking at what he sells. Not being there Notherntool was the choice.

This will give you all you need last for long time....

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200788684_200788684

Some things to consider

1st choice>Honda power,

Briggs & Stratton <<< the short version BS fits perfectly. Unless they have made huge changes run like hell, Purchased one years back, returned it the next day.

Grew up with the name and it had a good one, cannot say the same today .02

As for the extras...
  Buy another host double the length,

Second, not required an offloader valve, bypassing the high pressure to the hose when motor is at idle.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_21815_21815

Do not buy a surface washer, idea looks better than it works. I've considered them, after watching the videos.  Good old wand & and the right patterned tip is faster, and takes up less room.
1776 ................... what happened!

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2022, 04:33:47 PM »
The pump as mentioned is the big deal, change the oil, engine & pump.

Reading skfarmer's post we have the same machine.

If I were in close proximity to Phil I would, be looking at what he sells. Not being there Notherntool was the choice.

This will give you all you need last for long time....

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200788684_200788684

Some things to consider

1st choice>Honda power,

Briggs & Stratton <<< the short version BS fits perfectly. Unless they have made huge changes run like hell, Purchased one years back, returned it the next day.

Grew up with the name and it had a good one, cannot say the same today .02

As for the extras...
  Buy another host double the length,

Second, not required an offloader valve, bypassing the high pressure to the hose when motor is at idle.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_21815_21815

Do not buy a surface washer, idea looks better than it works. I've considered them, after watching the videos.  Good old wand & and the right patterned tip is faster, and takes up less room.
Thanks for the info.

BTW, neither of the links to me to anything specific. Just the Northern Tool clearance items.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2022, 09:15:29 PM »
I have a unit that I bought in 2011 from Lowes. I was looking at the Honda ones as my BIL told me that is the way to go and he used his often. I then spotted a box marked clearance and I bought it for several hundred dollars off. It is 3300psi and 3.2gals/min with a B&S engine and painted and marked John Deere. I know JD didn't build it and just licensed their name. We were building our RV garage/shop at the time with an even bigger barn to come so price was a factor for something not used often.

Sometimes I don't use it for a couple of years but it starts within 3 pulls and runs great. My biggest use was at the barn getting rid of the mare's urine off the stall mats. I also use it to remove the barn owl urine whitewash from the walls and mats. You have to be very careful using it on bare wood and don't use the most powerful tip as it will strip wood. I first used a steam cleaner over 40 years ago and that is where I was taught safety. If you have never used one and want to know the dangers and pitfalls just ask as we have members very experienced with pressure washers.

I also only put ethanol free gas in it and run it dry and winterize it for the freezing weather.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2022, 07:51:32 AM »
Just saw this thread.  Usually don't come on this page.

IMO, you want a Honda GX motor.  Size will depend on budget.  The GX's will out last several pumps with minimal care.  Note, Honda also makes a GC motor, homeowner quality and never mated with a good pump

Do not buy one with a AAA pump.  Those pumps don't last long.

On a GX 200, the most readily available one will be with a Cat pump and will last a long time.  Light enough to be easily portable.  3 gpm at about 2800 psi

On a GX 390, I like General EZ4040 pumps.  3500 psi at 4 gpm

Always make sure you have enough water flow at your garden hose to run the machine, starving for water will kill a pump quickly.  time the flow with a 5 gal bucket and stop watch.

tips to make any machine last longer

1. DO NOT ALLOW THE MACHINE TO RUN IN BYPASS.   Bypass is machine running and trigger shut off.  Water in pump will heat up quickly and damage the packings.  The cheaper the machine the quicker it will heat up.  1 minute in bypass is usually safe

2.  Don't store the machine with water in it in freezing conditions.  It will break

3.  Don't cycle trigger on and off like a 6 shooter.  That will wear out the unloader quicker

4.  Don't run over the hose

5.  NEVER LOAN OUT YOUR MACHINE.  It will come back broken.  If it is your best buddy, go with him and help him clean.

Northern is a decent choice

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2022, 08:58:07 AM »

5.  NEVER LOAN OUT YOUR MACHINE.  It will come back broken.  If it is your best buddy, go with him and help him clean.

This is absolutely true Phil. I've loaned out two pressure washers over the years (well the Mrs. actually loaned one of them to a friend of hers), and they all came back totally screwed to the max. What usually happens is exactly what you warned against -- running in by-pass mode for extended periods of time. They let the thing run while they chat with their friends/family, or while taking a rest. The pump just destroys itself during that time.

Lesson learned! --- Never loan a pressure washer to anyone.

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2022, 12:34:24 PM »

On a GX 200, the most readily available one will be with a Cat pump and will last a long time.  Light enough to be easily portable.  3 gpm at about 2800 psi

On a GX 390, I like General EZ4040 pumps.  3500 psi at 4 gpm

Thanks for the info.