TOOLS AND THE SHOP > MECHANIC HAND TOOLS WE USE

Tool fun! Guess the tool --

<< < (2/9) > >>

john k:
I am confused, (again)  if there was room to put that on the fitting, wouldn't there be room to use a regular flare nut wrench?  Have never seen one. 

goodfellow:

--- Quote from: john k on August 30, 2018, 11:10:50 AM ---I am confused, (again)  if there was room to put that on the fitting, wouldn't there be room to use a regular flare nut wrench?  Have never seen one. 

--- End quote ---

Yes, there is room for a regular flare nut wrench, but in many instances even the flare nut was not enough to safely remove the fitting without damage. Recall that in the day the carbs were made out of that cheap aluminum alloy and the brass/copper alloy fittings would literally weld themselves into the aluminum alloy. These tools would allow for maximum leverage to be applied to all sides of the fitting, and the harder you pulled the tighter the grip of the tool -- no chance of spreading

Cruiser808:
+1 on that GF. Rochester quadrajets were the worst offenders in my humble opinion.

goodfellow:

--- Quote from: Cruiser808 on August 30, 2018, 11:38:00 AM ---+1 on that GF. Rochester quadrajets were the worst offenders in my humble opinion.

--- End quote ---

--- In fact those Burroughs tools were supplied almost exclusively for Rochester carb repair toolkits

Uncle Buck:

--- Quote from: goodfellow on August 30, 2018, 11:39:24 AM ---
--- Quote from: Cruiser808 on August 30, 2018, 11:38:00 AM ---+1 on that GF. Rochester quadrajets were the worst offenders in my humble opinion.

--- End quote ---

--- In fact those Burroughs tools were supplied almost exclusively for Rochester carb repair toolkits

--- End quote ---

Even funnier, Rochester carbs have been the only ones I have ever rebuilt! LOL

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version